Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Artist and not a curator
12,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I know gum tree's can be a finicky bunch but clearing land for my sister today we came across a rainbow eucalyptus that her husband was just going to toss out and burn. I made him get it out of the burn pile because my sister wants to use some of the lumber that we took from clearing on her house.

I plan on drying the raw logs at my house for a month or two and then rough saw it into 4-6" thick sections and air dry for 6-8 months before milling into boards, I can kiln dry it but I don't like the idea of kilning any gums.

The lumber looks like it will have a tight grain and its hard as hell. I'm going to leave some with a live edge for a colorful mantle.

Sound about right for the process?

·
Registered
594 Posts
A friend of mine has a mill and does all kinds of hardwoods. He usually mills the logs right away and air drys for 1yr per inch (on thick slabs) then kiln for a month

·
Artist and not a curator
12,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the guy I talked to that mills gums said to leave the logs for a 1-2 months not so much to dry but to give the sap time to harden a bit. He said 3tpi and the sap a bit harder makes it workable otherwise resawing it is a real *****.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I worked on a log cabin once using about 3" thick pieces of fir with the natural face still there. The guy that milled them I think said he let them sit for 3 to 5 months. These were going on the inside for trim. I remember when I bolted them on there was still a ton of sap coming out. So I let it acclimate in the house for about a month before putting a finish on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts