Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Rain Screen with Hardi in Hawaii

2K views 28 replies 7 participants last post by  Dirtywhiteboy 
#1 ·
I'm out in Hawaii building an unconditioned storage building. South side of the big island just outside of Hilo. I'm debating about wether or not to throw rain screen behind the hardi plank or not. What do the boys think?

#5 · (Edited)
Somehow I missed this one.
We don't usually use rain screen here. Hilo is a wet area but even in the wet areas on Oahu we never use it. We do like to use good house wrap like Green guard is the good one that's available here. We use the tape to the windows and tape the seams too. Are you doing board&batton or lap hardie? We don't get more that 10º to 15º temp change from night to day so we don't get much condensation. man we don't even flash windows here. It works fine because of the stable warm weather. It is good to use a good caulk like rain buster or sinkaflex as you build.

#8 ·
@Dirtywhiteboy I'm in Pahoa. Love me a good punk show, but Kona is a 2 hour drive. Trying to get the work done out here before too much play. Island time is a real thing.

Building here is way different. The house I'm staying in has only screens for windows and no insulation, it's actually been comfortable the whole time. Been here a week and I'm much more chilled out. Finally figured out the "shaka" yesterday. SItting on the porch right now listening to the frogs chirp and ukulele. I'm gaining appreciation for hawaii.

#15 ·
@Dirtywhiteboy I'm in Pahoa. Love me a good punk show, but Kona is a 2 hour drive. Trying to get the work done out here before too much play. Island time is a real thing.

Building here is way different. The house I'm staying in has only screens for windows and no insulation, it's actually been comfortable the whole time. Been here a week and I'm much more chilled out. Finally figured out the "shaka" yesterday. SItting on the porch right now listening to the frogs chirp and ukulele. I'm gaining appreciation for hawaii.
During our stay there 2 years ago, I was surprised that we had no screens in the windows. Apparently, on some parts of the islands, insects are not a problem. Our AC was on when we arrived, but with keeping the windows open, it was needed at all.

#9 ·
Yes :ROFLMAO: our walls are 3/4" thick and jealousy windows open year round. We don't have the coqui frogs here yet. They say they came in on the plants when they built the Hilton Waikaloa. Yes Hawaiian time is very real.

#12 ·
The shaka comes from an old Hawaiian got his hand jammed up in some farm equipment and lost his 3 fingers so when he waved he only had a thumb and pinky. It's wildly used here for courteous driving.

#17 ·
We use 3/4" strapping over Zip sheathing. We tape all the seams and use liquid flashing on the nails. Several good videos out there including Matt Risinger. With tight houses with low blower door scores, it makes sense to use a rain screen. Hardie is a cement product and will absorb water.

#18 ·
Hardie works great here and is used most of the time. The paint keeps the water out. We don't build tight houses here in fact they are rather loose. We often use jealousy windows and the air just flies through them. We never close our jealousy windows so there's no need for a tight house. What ever that is?

#24 ·
There are still plenty of growers out here. Very easy to get weed if you want it. I'm surprised it doesn't grow wild in the ditch. I went to a hippie party last weekend and had to listen to someone talk about how he was in the process making plans to make plans to start a business.

Island time got me big on this one. Just started throwing the hardi up this afternoon.
Plant Sky Cloud Building Tree

#27 ·
Did you build the unit?
HPM has been beating the other guys on price and delivery for a long time now.
Hawaiian time is real....
The foundation was here when I arrived. And a D9 came in to level the area before me. I think it's build better than 90 percent of the residences here. HPM pricing was only a little bit above what I pay in Seattle but the quality was poor and it was very wet on delivery. Borated wood, which I'm not used to working with. It was kind of a bear throwing wet sheets of ply on the roof as I'm not a real big guy. Very close to done know so I should have time to play. I don't fly back until middle of next week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.