Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What is the best way to attach cedar railings for front steps to bluestone over concrete? The steps are 40 year old concrete covered in 1 1/2" bluestone. I was worried about cracking the bluestone with a Hilti rotary hammer and bit. Thinking of using a combination of epoxied rebar with Strong Tie post base. It's going through the bluestone that worries me.
Thanks!

·
Swanny
27 Posts
Hi John,

If you are going with the hammer drill I think new or sharp bits would be a good idea and maybe pre-drill a smaller dia. hole first.

Or you could invest in a diamond headed bit for a better hole.
Found these just poking around the net.

Threaded rod and epoxy sounds like the right way for mounting.

Good Luck!

Attachments

·
Pro
506 Posts
What is the best way to attach cedar railings for front steps to bluestone over concrete? The steps are 40 year old concrete covered in 1 1/2" bluestone. I was worried about cracking the bluestone with a Hilti rotary hammer and bit. Thinking of using a combination of epoxied rebar with Strong Tie post base. It's going through the bluestone that worries me.
Thanks!
i would make sleeve posts out of 1x6 clear cedar and use the same post anchors as are used for vinyl railing. they take (4) 1/4" lags for anchors,have self leveling bolts, and hold pretty good. don't know if I like the exposed post base look at all, plus most steps are pitched slightly so the anchor will look cocked.

i build my sleeves with a lock miter so I'm able to just glue everything together with no nails. would look like a real timber.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i would make sleeve posts out of 1x6 clear cedar and use the same post anchors as are used for vinyl railing. they take (4) 1/4" lags for anchors,have self leveling bolts, and hold pretty good. don't know if I like the exposed post base look at all, plus most steps are pitched slightly so the anchor will look cocked.

i build my sleeves with a lock miter so I'm able to just glue everything together with no nails. would look like a real timber.

Thanks ClemS,
I have installed a few vinyl railings with that base mostly into wood or Trex type decking. I wonder if it would hold better then epoxied rebar or threaded rod. I was going to trim out the bottom of the posts to hide the hardware. I agree with you I don't like the look of exposed hardware. Doesn't look finished to me.

The cedar sleeve is a good idea. Lock miters tend to be a PIA for me. They have to be perfect to go together well. Do you use a router table. I have a small one that does ok.

·
Pro
506 Posts
Thanks ClemS,
I have installed a few vinyl railings with that base mostly into wood or Trex type decking. I wonder if it would hold better then epoxied rebar or threaded rod. I was going to trim out the bottom of the posts to hide the hardware. I agree with you I don't like the look of exposed hardware. Doesn't look finished to me.

The cedar sleeve is a good idea. Lock miters tend to be a PIA for me. They have to be perfect to go together well. Do you use a router table. I have a small one that does ok.
yeah i have a marginally portable router table with a 3-1/4 horse porter cable router in it. soft stuff like cedar is very easy to mill. I've milled maple into lock miters on it as well, but it was a tad more time consuming.
i used those "for vinyl" post bases at my house on a concrete pad. they stay stiff like you wouldn't believe. i bought mine from usavinyl.com, i think they were around 40 bucks a piece. the only problem i had with them is they gave me threaded rods to epoxy, so i ran out and got some regular expansion bolts instead.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts