Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone know anything about these custom railings? I need to replace the base caps but cant find any base caps for round railings. I have a big deck reaplacement job approved by owner but these railing base caps are so brittle (or missing). Client doesnt want to get new railings and I dont blame them as these are in great shape. But I need to be able to find these caps to not loose the job. I searche all sort of railing companies and google image searchs but came up with nothing.

My plan B is to find a nice post cap, make a jig to drill hole in center and find a really thin blade to cut the post cap in half.

·
Super Moderator
23,773 Posts
what is the diameter of the upright and of the cap itself?

Mike, Calidecks, should be on here shortly, lets see what he has to say.

worst comes to worst have a shop make them.

why split, can't take it apart and get a base on? if you split them they will never join tight.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what is the diameter of the upright and of the cap itself?

Mike, Calidecks, should be on here shortly, lets see what he has to say.

worst comes to worst have a shop make them.

why split, can't take it apart and get a base on? if you split them they will never join tight.
The base plate is welded on at the factory. I am going to get exact measurements in the morning. That is why these caps are split. Someone in a local forum to the community where job is mentioned these might be Avcon thermoplastic railings. Job is on Long Beach Island in NJ and this manufacture isnt that far from there so decent shot this could be the company.

http://avcon.com/thermoplastic/

·
GC/carpenter
40,550 Posts
You could have them custom made. They don't look too difficult to fabricate for a decent shop.

Mike.

·
GC/carpenter
40,550 Posts
To be honest with you. I'd be on the phone to my metal railing guy and he'd whup that out in the field. Welded and painted in no time.

Mike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts