Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remold older homes. When it comes to remolding basements the stairs are the problem. The old designs were not built for todays building codes. We can not change them without major changes to the upper floor. Not in the client budget or plans. If we change the rise or run we lose head room. Normally their not bad so changing them is not done. The problem I do have however is that usually one side is open. So we must put up a railing system to prevent falling. When we do this getting furniture up and down becomes very hard. The stairs usually only have 4 ft of space at the bottom.

The question is. Is there a system of railings that would allow easy rail removal for the moving of furniture, then easily put back in place to keep people (children) from falling?

·
Registered
547 Posts
screws are your friends,
What if you made the rail assembly as one piece, then just lag/screw it into the opening you need to protect. Depending on how often it may be removed, threaded inserts in the frame might help.

Just think of happy HO pulling the thing apart with his visegrip, make it easy for them to remove and install, or they will pull it off once and leave it off.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I remold older homes. When it comes to remolding basements the stairs are the problem. The old designs were not built for todays building codes. We can not change them without major changes to the upper floor. Not in the client budget or plans. If we change the rise or run we lose head room. Normally their not bad so changing them is not done. The problem I do have however is that usually one side is open. So we must put up a railing system to prevent falling. When we do this getting furniture up and down becomes very hard. The stairs usually only have 4 ft of space at the bottom.

The question is. Is there a system of railings that would allow easy rail removal for the moving of furniture, then easily put back in place to keep people (children) from falling?
Just make the railing up like a wall with some kind of brackets attached to the post and rail so that you can lift up and remove.

·
Box Builder
6,315 Posts
To expand on Joe's idea I would have a hold down so the railing couldn't be popped up and off by mistake. Also, I would break the railing into shorter lengths so it is easier to handle when off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts