Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always had a rule never to hang any tools on a rafter, on top of a step ladder and go get something, just never ever to leave a tool overhead no matter what, no matter how quickly you are going to use it again.

Now I see that some of these new circular saws have what they call a built in rafter hanger hook. Isn't this just asking for trouble? If I ever saw anybody hanging a circular saw 10 feet off the ground on a rafter I would be pissed.

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
Mike Finley said:
If I ever saw anybody hanging a circular saw 10 feet off the ground on a rafter I would be pissed.
Especially if they tape the trigger in the on position! :cheesygri

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PPro said:
Trigger taped, gaurd pegged up, hanging from a rafter...

Sounds like fun to me. :)
Hell, lets take it one step more.

How about: trigger taped, guard pegged and swinging it around your head in a big arc like Roger Daltrey from the who...

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
You don't built roofs much Mike? Up and down up and down. How much time is a that? More than the job pays. There is nothing unsafe about it unless you hanging tools by a nail.
I have been hanging guns and saws off the joists and rafters for years. The hooks are solid and when properly inspected they are safe.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't build roofs ever. That's why I am asking the question if that is common practice. I know that what applies to what I do doesn't apply to everybody else, but it is easy to fall into the trap of believing that your practices are what everybody else does. That's the beauty of these forums, to be able to get different perspectives from all the trades.

I also don't use bump firing on my guns either, which in other trades would be suicide.

·
Registered
90 Posts
JustaFramer said:
You don't built roofs much Mike? Up and down up and down. How much time is a that? More than the job pays. There is nothing unsafe about it unless you hanging tools by a nail.
I have been hanging guns and saws off the joists and rafters for years. The hooks are solid and when properly inspected they are safe.
Question for you-

Do you guys peg up the gaurd? (Take a small wedge cut out of a 2x4 or something and use it to keep the gaurd up at all times?) Everyone around here does it, I'm just wondering if its a local thing or not.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PPro said:
Question for you-

Do you guys peg up the gaurd? (Take a small wedge cut out of a 2x4 or something and use it to keep the gaurd up at all times?) Everyone around here does it, I'm just wondering if its a local thing or not.
That's a joke right? :eek:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
When I got started in this business only about half of the carpenters saws had guards at all, none of the older guys did. One of the younger guys was using an oldtimers saw and the thing kicked back and caught him in the thigh just above 'the boys', got his femoral artery and a bunch of tendons. What a mess! I leave the guards alone and keep well away if I have to make an entry cut.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sadly, I'm not joking. And I do know 2 carpenters who have cut fingers off. They were put back on and have about 40% mobility in them.

The gaurd can cause the saw to walk away from the cut sometimes, which is why they peg it up. Instead of having a helper hold the board while you hold the gaurd for cuts like that, they just peg it up to keep it a one man job.

Production houses in Michigan are also built like ********************, and you are always being pushed to pump out more work in the same amount of time.

When I started doing trim I was expected to completely base a 4000 square foot home in a day and a half. Two days, tops. And that is only if its stain grade or has a lot more corners than usual. It sucks...

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
I don't pin the guard back at all. Illegal. Guys say they can't cut angles or mitres with the guard unpinned but they are gay. Skill/bosch actually made a new guard to make it easier to cut angles or plumb cuts.
As for hanging tools with the proper hangers they are safe. When your 10 to 20 feet above the floor the only safe way to place your tool is to hang it off a rafter/joist.
I think hanging a tool with out the hanger is a violation. But so is not wearing a hard hat.

Oh btw I still have all my fingers despite being bit by the saw. ;) and I have a couple of piercings 3"x.131"

·
Registered
318 Posts
We have rafter hanging hooks for our circulars and nail guns and they are for framing roofs. In truth it's much safer using these than trying to hold on to a sheet of plywood, the roof and your nailgun without dropping it on the head of the guy below. Like any tool they have to be installed right and periodically checked for safety.

BTW - if anyone on our crew disengages a nailgun safety or "pegs" back the safety on a circular saw, it's in our handbook that it's grounds for termination.

Tim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts