Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading in another forum about the covering dirt so you dont get radon poisening. Just curious how many of you know, met, heard of anybody sick/dieing from Radon poisening?

I've personally known none and have never heard of anybody being hospitalized for it, so I have my own "opinions" about this "radon" thing.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I don't think the worry is in regard to something effecting you immediately and hospitalizing you instantly. It is the long term exposure to radon in a home which they say equates to the long term effects of smoking cigarettes. Radon in present just about everywhere in low levels, the worries seem to be when it gets concentrated due to being contained in a living space.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm buying a bike and sellin my guns:)

I've never researched Radon, and probably wont ever either. Guess I've always thought it a "fluke" or excuse for some guy that is "licsensed" to rid your house of this oderless, colorless, otherwise seemily non-existing gas that I've never heard of anybody getting sick off of. 99% of the time sombodies in the hospital sick, in my experience I've never heard or read of anything tracing radon back to being the cause, weather short term or long term since there's a million other things getting the blame.

I think it's fake, but agian, that's an uneducated opinion. If I took 15minutes to look it up on the net it may suprise me what I find. But for now I rank it up there with the "does a tree falling in the woods make noise" question, I could really care less, just seems like a good market to get into. "Hello, I'm with so and so Radon dection agency, we'd like to give you a free radon check." Hour later, "We've found very high levels of this oderless, colorless, deadly gas in your residence that is putting your family at extreme health risk." We can fix your problem and make your house liveable for $4000 and hald a days worth of work...sign right here."

;)

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
There is a couple of million dollars a year spent on home radon detection kits, the EPA has specific instructions, there are millions of dollars spent on radon mitigation and hundreds of companies who do it, dozens of real estate deals go sour each day over radon. I won't get into any arguments that follow the "My pappy smoked 6 packs of cigarettes a day and never got sick a day in his life." Radon definitly exists, just as asbestos, mold, skin cancer and other nasty things do, whether you believe it poses a risk or not is up to you to decide I guess. The risk is long term exposure not short term. Radon mitigation usually runs well under $1000 in most cases, not close to $4000. Usually all it takes is incorporating a low volume continuously running fan to create a negative air pressure under the slab.

·
Registered
318 Posts
"sellin my guns:)"

Got a buyer right here! :Thumbs:

Yeah - I was working in the insurance industry (working right in construction liability issues at the time no less) right when the mold craze started. The conclusion we officially came to and has been reiterated by everyone with the slightest bit of construction sense was that if you set up a house to vent properly, there will be no issues. It's basically the same with radon.

Now....who determines what "proper venting" is - as far as I know, that's a case by case answer.

Tim

·
Commercial construction
627 Posts
I spend a lot of time in the ditch, so I'm stuck with what's there. But "proper venting" at my house sounds good to me. 24 hours of the stuff for 60 years may not be such a good idea.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
everyone with the slightest bit of construction sense was that if you set up a house to vent properly, there will be no issues. It's basically the same with radon.

Now....who determines what "proper venting" is - as far as I know, that's a case by case answer.

Tim
Hmm, I'm curious what you mean about that, because it is my understanding that no body sets up a house properly to vent to prevent radon. The entire principal of venting actually is what bring radon into the house in the first place isn't it? More specifically doesn't any negative pressure in the house supposed to be what is sucking the radon up through the ground right? The two mitigation methods are creating a positive pressure by sucking air into the house and putting back pressure against the slab or venting under the slab with a mechanical fan to create negative pressure and pull air from the house down through the slab keeping the radon out.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
I guess the way I look at it is - in all new construction put the proper piping under the slab just in case there is a high concentration of it. The cost to cover the 10,000 sf basement I'm doing right now was $1000. We're in the process now of testing for concentrations of radon - if we do have it - it's another $2000 to get the fans installed and duct it out.
I just think of it as one more thing to deal with - like siding on the house.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Negative Pressure

Here's a question...My home is an antique built in the late 1700's. When we bought it I had a radon unit installed. Now due to the negative pressure in the house everytime I use any of the fireplaces they backflow into the house. Anyone know of a remedy (short of ripping the damn radon unit out)?

·
Registered
318 Posts
My understanding Mike is that the problem with radon is it "concentrating" in the interior of a house. Vent it and it is never allowed to concentrate. Not exactly but kind of like mold. You can't prevent it from existing. You can only try to keep it from concentrating.

Tim

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Mike Finley said:
Hmm, I'm curious what you mean about that, because it is my understanding that no body sets up a house properly to vent to prevent radon.
In areas where the IRC is the prevailing code, and the state or local authorities have adopted appendix F of that document, provisions to vent radon must be made. The code outlines certain portions of the radon mitigation infrastructure that must be installed in new construction (whether or not radon is actually present) in order to meet code.

From another standpoint, the profit potential in radon mitigation is great. The actual green dollar costs to the contractor for the average radon job is less than 400 bucks.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
mdshunk said:
From another standpoint, the profit potential in radon mitigation is great. The actual green dollar costs to the contractor for the average radon job is less than 400 bucks.
Somebody is thinking like a business man. Shame on you. :cheesygri :Thumbs:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts