Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to offer a radius to the top of my privacy fences. I have never done one. I will be doing it to my own property first. What is the best method to scribe or jig from post to post?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Are you talking about a dome or scalloped? IF so, find yourself a 10' or 12' fiberglass tension bar (the uright piece that attached chainlink fabric to the tension bands) from a fence retailer. Then, take your section and measure up from the rail on the two ends where you want your cut to be, and in the middle as well, put some screw sticking out, lay tension bar under the end screws and over the top, and trace.

As for angel wings, I'm not sure for the screw placement, so you'd have to mess with that. A plywood jig can then be made for speed.

Hope that helped.

·
Registered
37 Posts
1" or so PVC in 10' sections works good too, or a piece of wood trim, anything flexible really. Then put temp nails x" above your top rails @ your posts, then x" above the toprail in the middle of your section.

Personally, I don't know about a plywood jig, since each leg of the fence has sections that are slighty different lengths (so there is no odd section @ the end). So unless you had a really long stretch, I'm not sure if it would pencil out timewise.

Also, I would reccomend integrating your single gates into a larger scallop section. I've tried doing the gate as it's own scallop, and it can get tight if doing an underscallop, especially if using a circular saw. It also makes it stand out from the other sections (which generally is not desireable).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts