Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Radiators, customer wants durable bronze metallic finish.

I have a job in the shop to do 30 radiators and the customer would like a durable bronze metallic finish.

Temperature wise we're talking about 130º max... but I suppose High temp would be good.

Any ideas?

·
DPDT, Momentarily on
718 Posts
Radiators, customer wants durable bronze metallic finish.

I have a job in the shop to do 30 radiators and the customer would like a durable bronze metallic finish.

Temperature wise we're talking about 130º max... but I suppose High temp would be good.

Any ideas?
Powder coat. It can stand those temps and the guy I use locally has one bronze-copperish color that is very similar to rustoleum's hammer finish. Might be just the ticket.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Powder coat. It can stand those temps and the guy I use locally has one bronze-copperish color that is very similar to rustoleum's hammer finish. Might be just the ticket.
I was trying to stay away from powder coating.

Recently we had to blast some radiators that were powder coated 10 years ago and they had extensive chipping.

The powder coating was a mother to get off and the paints available now are just as good as powder coating and easier to take off when you have to remove them.

I know a lot of guys who race cars and wish they had never powder coated their chassis because the stuff chips easily.

Any other ideas?

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
I've used a zinc coating like ZRC.com as a base
Takes heat up to 450 I think
Keeps rust at bay
The top coated with a high solid polyurethane industrial
Never had a call back on them in the last 5 years of doing them
Last ones we did had the paint tinted to a Dover white wall color, lady loved them

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,331 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've used a zinc coating like ZRC.com as a base
Takes heat up to 450 I think
Keeps rust at bay
The top coated with a high solid polyurethane industrial
Never had a call back on them in the last 5 years of doing them
Last ones we did had the paint tinted to a Dover white wall color, lady loved them
Ya, I'm leaning towards a polyurethane just not sure what brand?

I'll look into the zinc base.

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
MasterBlaster said:
Ya, I'm leaning towards a polyurethane just not sure what brand? I'll look into the zinc base.
Sherwin Williams, Dupoint / Emron
I find I swing to SW because they don't charge to color it were as Emron charges up to 50 + per gallon more if its not blk or wht.

I've used both a lot and both are very similar

1 - 9 of 9 Posts