Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which do you prefer?

I have a few options and I need to go out and grab a few. I am trying to get geared up for winter work and as it gets colder I keep buying more stuff.

I am tenting in a small job tomorrow and can't decide if I should get some lower powered radiant units so each person can have one at their work area to keep the wall warm, or one large forced air unit.

I am leaning towards the radiant ones mostly because the forced air units are loud, and the poor guy working closest to it gets cooked right out of his coveralls.

I don't want a sauna in the tent, just enough to keep the wall above freezing during the work day, at night it will get electric blankets with concrete blankets over top.

I am dead set on propane too, the kero and diesel ones have always left me with a pounding headache in the past, propane is a little less smelly to.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
the radiant ones don't radiate very far in my opinion. I'm using a dynaglo 40000BTU forced air one right now and unlike a salamander it can be adjusted for heat. a 20lb tank lasted more than 24hrs and kept the area at long sleeve shirt temperatures when it was -10c/10F. The area was maybe 100sqft so fairly small, but since the fan was on low the radio was easily heard. The only drawback that it has is that it needs power for the fan which not all jobs have

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
I use a 130000 btu salamander that has a thermostat, it will heat a 2400 sqf house from 10f to 60f in a half an hour, then it kick on and off for the rest of the day

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
If you can tolerate the noise the torpedo is the way to go. But I would run an undersized unit and just keep it running because start up and shut down is when they really smell.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
dom-mas said:
Yours is Kero/diesel/Jetfuel isn't it? (saw a pic in a thread about winter), Sitdown wants propane
Missed that part, I always leave a window open, it's never affected me though, like some guys with the fumes.

·
Smarter than the brick...
298 Posts
I have a 50,000 BTU forced air propane that I use to warm up the area, then use one of those radiant ones that connect to the top of a propane bottle. The bottle top keeps the temp steady in the small areas that I usually tent off, the fan forced one can only run for a short time before it gets too hot then ya gotta plug it back in to warm up the area, lather, rinse, repeat....

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I don't know how masons breath in the tent with the un-exhausted kerosene heaters. I feel like vomiting in minutes.

Reactions: Eaglei

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know how masons breath in the tent with the un-exhausted kerosene heaters. I feel like vomiting in minutes.
I have done it enough on other peoples jobs to know I don't like them in the tent with me.

You wake up the next day and feel like you were out all night drinking.

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
If you don't want fumes, you can get a ducted kerosene/diesel unit. The combustion and fumes stay outside, and all you get through the flexible duct is hot air. Rented one on a project a while back, worked great, but you do lose some efficiency.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
If you keep the filters clean and use either Kero or #1 diesel it's only bad when it runs out of fuel. If you use #2 diesel it puffs each time it starts and stops but gets way better efficiency. The hoarding is usually pretty airy though. Propane salamanders are much nicer to breath but the sound is enough to drive me bananas, and since I quit smoking I figure I can huff some diesel fumes and still be ahead, it doesn't bother me much but my wife says I stink when I get home

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
If you keep the filters clean and use either Kero or #1 diesel it's only bad when it runs out of fuel. If you use #2 diesel it puffs each time it starts and stops but gets way better efficiency. The hoarding is usually pretty airy though. Propane salamanders are much nicer to breath but the sound is enough to drive me bananas, and since I quit smoking I figure I can huff some diesel fumes and still be ahead, it doesn't bother me much but my wife says I stink when I get home
After years of driving my 84 diesel Quantum with a leaky downpipe and holes in the floor I have a low tolerance for diesel exhaust.

·
Punching above his weight
12,103 Posts
Are the noise and small really that much of a deterrent? Any time I've needed a torpedo heater it's been a pretty miserable working condition like demoing a house with no doors or windows December, doing exterior tree fall damage repairs in January, digging a god damn hole in February or some other equally awful finger and toe freezing job. It's already a crappy situation, who cares if it's noisy too? Crank the radio, get into it.
Torpedo baby!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts