Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Concrete Radiant floor Heating Info???

Looking for a little speciality contractor advice. I know radiant floor heat can get very involved, so some general knowledge would be appreciated.

What type of heating system should be installed? Hot water tank, boiler, tankless, ect..

Customer wants very efficeint, quality, price is not an issue. All options you pro's have cheap or exspenive is appreciated.

Project info:
- 2,500 sqft basement
- 7 zones as done on rough in. Done for a closed system...bubble wrap over sand, hog panels (as we call it), pecs lines. you know the drill
- mechanical is in not on an exterior wall. Flue vents through floor trusses, 20' horizontal, 6' vertical, two 90 degree elbows
- Propane to the house
- house is going to be on tankless (doesn't matter)
-Polished concrete floor.
- location Welcome to Oz. Kansas. So hot in the summer people use jalapeno over their eyes instead of cucumbers to relax. So cold Jack Frost heads south for the winter.

Any important info I left out? Plumber was planning on using a tankless for the floors, I don't agree with that for my own reasons. I could be wrong. These sytems are kind of new here and no one can talk very smart about it (We just found out about automobiles last year) I trust my plumber, and he does great work and will have him finish everything. Just need to hear from you guys that have put in a hundered of these.

thanks for your help. If you think there's some websites I should check out, let me know

Markon

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Not sure I'm allowed to post this.
But. heatinghelp.com. Is the best wet head website you'll find.

From your description. A mistake or 2 was already made.

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
most certainly a modulating, condensing boiler. Triangle tube is my favorite for several reasons I won' go into here but look them up.
Outdoor reset on the boiler.
You will be limited to a few tankless water heaters with the vent as described. Navien is one that will work and you can use PVC to vent.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Customer wants very efficeint, quality, price is not an issue.
If the above is true and Natural Gas isn't available then I would think you'd have to look at geothermal as an option.

But with the poor insulation under the slab geo might not work

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info. I will look into all that has been suggested. The home already has 1 geo-thermal system for the havc.

For heating the home has 3 fireplaces, geothermal heat pump, electric furnace for quick temp recovery, and then there's the radiant.

Poor insulation under the slab? What is it that you would recommend under the slab other than bubble wrap (Future project info)? Could you explain? Like I said, no one around here installs these systems. I have seen several DIY's shed's.

·
Marcos Shaw
14 Posts
I see your using polished concrete. Great option for keeping the floor warm and fuzzy in winter.

Just make sure your installers place the pipes well below the surface, at least 20mm.

We have grinded a job and had the top of the pipe show through. was very hard ot fix, extremely hard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts