Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13,137 Posts
To work the SLC, with heat I use an inverted bow rake that has a smaller round backbone. I find the SLC flows over the backbone, and the teeth distribute it.

If there is no heat, I use the bow rake, teeth down.

Both methods move the product just enough to get it to lay down. I try to mix the entire amount needed at one time, either in a tote or plastic garbage can.

Anybody want to share their method?

Tom

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I read the nxt specs and a lathe is required over plywood.
Unless you use the floor heating mat, then you stick it down and prime the whole enchilada and pour...areas without the mat required 3.2 lath.

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,587 Posts
I've used both mat systems and loose lay cable systems and I prefer the latter.

That said, it is more of a PITA from a labor perspective. The manufacturer should have provided a spacing guide based on the square footage you were covering, and the length of cable--but I know it still takes a little thought and sometimes t&e to get it just right.

In answer to your last question--yes, you'll get a much better result by leveling the entire floor to the depth of the cable. Once the cable is installed, we run screws throughout the room around 2' o.c.--leaving them up at the height we want the top of the leveler pour.

With an uneven floor, a cable system kills two birds with one stone. Even coverage throughout the space, and a perfectly level floor.

Hope that helps.
I think we just witnessed a drive by posting! :laughing: Where have you been? I had to verify that the thread was not 2 years old!

Back to the OP – We have used both matts and cable (it depends on the project), but I prefer cable. It just seems to give a better distribution of heat. And yes it can be a PITA :sad:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Glad my install was correct. Tom, what is your theory behind the wood and and slc expanding and contracting? I'm thinking if the primer does its job the slc grabs ahold of it pretty well? I don't know the science, looking for some insight. As for the method of using screws as a screed height I'm not sold on that

·
Registered
13,137 Posts
Concrete and wood move at different rates with temperature change. They also deflect differently. The lath being nail to the subfloor ties them together.

Tom

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I'm not convinced that the temperature changes in a home would cause a floor failure between a properly built subfloor and the tile set on it. I may be wrong.

·
Registered
13,137 Posts
It's not the temp change in the house. It's the temp changes in the material due to the heat. The SLC heats at a different rate than the floor.
If you have sun through a window will cause a rate change.

Pretty much the same way. One of those rooms had 3" of water across the entire room. I placed the lineal drain on the room side rather than the wall side.

Tom

21 - 33 of 33 Posts