Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
As "going commando" already said. Abandon the system. I've run across several of these. At the time they were installed, electricity was cheap. All the ones I've seen were wires stapled to the board and then plastered over.

You can find the wires with a heat sensing thermostat laser thing. (I can't remember the name right now) Or with thermal imaging.

If you paint it with the heat on, the wired areas will dry first and always be noticable. Of course your heat doesn't work.

This is old, but I saw a slightly different one yesterday. Boiler heat in the ceiling. The copper lines were attached to the board and then plastered over. Every ceiling had cracks. I think it was from all the weight in the ceiling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm a little surprised to learn that some of you consider this an "old fashioned" system. I still put it in from time to time. Chromalox is the brand I use. It is cable, that comes on a roll. You specify the number of square feet you're heating, and that dictates how big of a roll of cable you get. It staples on top of 3/8" sheetrock with a power crown stapeler. Then, it gets veneer plastered over by the rocker. Same idea as the "Easy Heat" under floor cable heating system that is getting popular in bathrooms, only upside down. Ceiling heat is a decent alternative for electric heating where you don't have a good place to mount a baseboard heater.
Good afternoon...

I know that it's been a few years since your post, but I've gotten some inquiries recently on this subject and I thought I would throw it back out there to see if anyone on the West Coast still uses electrical radiant heat systems?

If so, where are you and how can we get in touch? Also, are the materials named in previous posts still available and who can you buy them through?

Thanks!

Tom (714) 294-0779 or (714) 248-6687

21 - 23 of 23 Posts