Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I m looking at building a 24x24 garage where the HO is going to put radiant heat in the floor. I m located in the NorthEast. Most of the garages (unheated) out here are framed 2x4 with houses 2x6. I m sure he will only use the radiant in the garage infrequently. What s your take? Is it worth upgrading to 2x6 and R-19 insulation, compared to R-13?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Radiant floor heat won't be very convenient for infrequent use because of the time it takes to warm up so I'm thinking he will leave it on quite a bit. Going to higher wall R value makes sense if the doors and windows are good enough. If they are leaky it will overwhelm any benefit gained by the increased wall R value.

So I guess my answer is first put money towards good doors/windows and it there is enough left in the budget increase the wall R value.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
:thumbsup:
I m looking at building a 24x24 garage where the HO is going to put radiant heat in the floor. I m located in the NorthEast. Most of the garages (unheated) out here are framed 2x4 with houses 2x6. I m sure he will only use the radiant in the garage infrequently. What s your take? Is it worth upgrading to 2x6 and R-19 insulation, compared to R-13?
What does the HO want? If he is going to the expense of radient heat, probably willing to pay for the extra.

·
Banned
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback, I should of clarified this when I talked to the customer on the initial visit. The house is a stick-framed geo-dome, with a deck perched on top of it. After I do the garage, I have to go back in the spring and build a connector between the garage and the "dome". To be honest, most of the time I was talking about the garage, I was pondering the tie-in. Should of concentrated more on the garage. Anyway I ll probably call him back and ask some follow up questions. Wanted to get better informed on the options, thanks for the input.

Oh, and thanks for pointing out that 6" insulation is now R-21, I worked at a lumber yard for 8 years. I have R-19 etched into my brain...

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Have you figured out how you are gonna lay out the garage in relationship to the dome yet?
The tie in would seem easier if squared up to the house real nice. Is there a simple way to string off the dome?

Don't mean to get off your point but my mind wonders to the tie in too.:laughing:

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Have you figured out how you are gonna lay out the garage in relationship to the dome yet?
The tie in would seem easier if squared up to the house real nice. Is there a simple way to string off the dome?

Don't mean to get off your point but my mind wonders to the tie in too.:laughing:
Only way I ever figured, was to
square off of a "flat."

·
Banned
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Off the dome he has a series of bump outs at ground level, kitchen nook, front entrance, side entrance, and who knows what else. The tie in from the garage is going to go where the side entrance is. Right now he has a 24/12 gambrel roof over the side entrance, the top part of the gambrel is a 1/12 flat that slopes away from the dome. (Wow, a picture would be worth a lot here). Oh! the current tie-in from the entrance to the dome leaks :rolleyes:. I wasn't suprised to hear, I saw Roof Tar all around the tie in parts.

You can imagine why I was distracted on this one. Sigh, maybe I should do the garage and run like hell when he calls me back for the tie-in.

I'm thinking its best to locate the gable end towards the dome, seems like the tie-in would be easiest. since his 24/12 ends on 4' knee walls. Gonna try to make sure the peak is higher that what I have to tie into. Jeez i forgot to mention he has an Octagon Skylight right above his flat roof/gambrel leak :blink:. I'm getting a headache. Where was I? hmmm 2x4 or 2x6? seems like this it's a no brainer compared to what I'm gonna be thinking about in the spring.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Off the dome he has a series of bump outs at ground level, kitchen nook, front entrance, side entrance, and who knows what else. The tie in from the garage is going to go where the side entrance is. Right now he has a 24/12 gambrel roof over the side entrance, the top part of the gambrel is a 1/12 flat that slopes away from the dome. (Wow, a picture would be worth a lot here). Oh! the current tie-in from the entrance to the dome leaks :rolleyes:. I wasn't suprised to hear, I saw Roof Tar all around the tie in parts.

You can imagine why I was distracted on this one. Sigh, maybe I should do the garage and run like hell when he calls me back for the tie-in.

I'm thinking its best to locate the gable end towards the dome, seems like the tie-in would be easiest. since his 24/12 ends on 4' knee walls. Gonna try to make sure the peak is higher that what I have to tie into. Jeez i forgot to mention he has an Octagon Skylight right above his flat roof/gambrel leak :blink:. I'm getting a headache. Where was I? hmmm 2x4 or 2x6? seems like this it's a no brainer compared to what I'm gonna be thinking about in the spring.
Thanks, now I have a headache.:laughing:
Good luck. You will earn your keep on this one.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Sure the skylight isn't a pentagon?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I don't think that you are looking at much of a cost difference for such a small straightforward building. You might want to consider 2x4 with 1 or 2 inches of foam on the outside for a thermal break and to keep the dewpoint at bay.

·
Banned
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks jaros, that's another option I should mention to him. Called the HO back with the price, priced it 2x4 and 2x6, gonna let him pick.

Neo! yep, he said it was a pentagon. You guessed it better than I saw it, I should of brought a camera. If I new the house was so unconventional, I would of brought it, on the first trip.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
I should of brought a camera. If I new the house was so unconventional, I would of brought it, on the first trip.
Gotta get a phone that can snap a decent picture. Then just e-mail it to yourself.

I love my I phone :clap:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts