Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am surprised that I can't find this topic discussed anywhere on this forum. I guess it must be because most of the contractors on this forum are up north & for most of the year want to keep the heat in their homes.
My dad, here in Texas, wants to get his attic sprayed with liquid radiant heat barrier & the opinion varies so much that I am beginning to think the product is a joke & that he would be better off just adding more insulation?
What do you think?
Steve

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks RC,
That list is great. I will check into the four products under 0.25 emmitance & also SW's, if the others are too expensive. I noticed that on Paint Talk forum, some mentioned that SW might have dropped E-Barrier from their line?
Steve

I think the jury is still out, just not enough data.

Look here and here or here

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I realize that these guys are salesmen, but they do state that "So called "radiant barrier paint" products are NOT true radiant barriers per the US Department of Energy." They also say that this is the true definition of a radiant heat barrier:
"Radiant Barrier Definition : Per the Department of Energy (DOE), a product classified as a "radiant barrier" must have a low emittance of 10% or less and high reflectance of 90% or more. "
http://www.radiantguard.com/radiant-barrier-paints.aspx
Again, I realize that these guys are salesmen.
Steve

Have not used it, so I can't say.
Still on the website
And it still shows on the online catalog. A 5 gallon is 51.79

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
Chris.. that is $51.79 a gallon, not a 5 gallon. I have Ebarrier on my place right now. I sprayed it almost a year ago. I would say that my place IS alot nicer than it was. It seems to be cooler than it used to be. I have saved some off my bills, but in that I have done alot of work, added soffit vents, changed siding on my place, fixed areas around doors and windows.. have done alot. So that being said I am not sure what true amounts it has saved me.. but what I do know is that it has made my place alot nicer climate wise. In the winter I noticed that it doesn't get cold in my place as fast, as in the furnace doesn't kick on till later in the night. During the summer I have noticed that it stays cooler longer into the day.

I bought a weather station to test all this and also wind speeds for selecting the type of wind generator I am planning on putting up on my property. I have almost a full years worth of data, and have previous years electric and gas usage to check against. The only problem is that this year has been unusually cool. We have only had ~2.5 weeks of extreme hot, the rest has been pretty cool.

I think it is definately another 'tool in the bag' so to speak. Here are some images of the Ebarrier. BTW I am NOT a salesperson, and personally I would go with Lowmit or Heatblock over the SW product. BUT I got 10 gal of the Ebarrier comped to me....

The rafters act like a heat sink, so you have to make sure to spray those also. I know that in a few spots It looks like I didn't get it, I did, but didn't get pics of it. Also, I used 9 gallons, that is alot for the area I did. You need to spray the rafters and tails also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts