Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was looking at adding radiant floor with propane heater....
here are some details....
1 1/2 story open concept catherdral ceiling in Ontario Canada.
already have woodstove, Rinnai ES38 propane wall heater and some electric baseboards, which is too expensive to use these days.
The ES38 does a good job until it gets below 0 F, but it is running all of the time, when used by itself.
We have a 4' crawl space on bedrock which is insulated on the outside walls and doesn't need any heat added and never goes below 48F, but the floors are cold at this point. I do have a 2000 watt baseboard heater in the basement and it does a good job of heating the main floor to simulate radiant floor. Maybe it is still is cost effective to run this baseboard heater, instead of getting into radiant floor. The main floor is only 700 sq ft and the upstairs has good access to the heat since it is open concept. The wood stove is running during the winter, but we want to be able to go away for a weekend without worrying about a low temperature and running the Rinnai propane heater too hard after the woodstove goes out..
any ideas or suggestions?....thx

·
General Contractor
8,082 Posts
was looking at adding radiant floor with propane heater....
here are some details....
1 1/2 story open concept catherdral ceiling in Ontario Canada.
already have woodstove, Rinnai ES38 propane wall heater and some electric baseboards, which is too expensive to use these days.
The ES38 does a good job until it gets below 0 F, but it is running all of the time, when used by itself.
We have a 4' crawl space on bedrock which is insulated on the outside walls and doesn't need any heat added and never goes below 48F, but the floors are cold at this point. I do have a 2000 watt baseboard heater in the basement and it does a good job of heating the main floor to simulate radiant floor. Maybe it is still is cost effective to run this baseboard heater, instead of getting into radiant floor. The main floor is only 700 sq ft and the upstairs has good access to the heat since it is open concept. The wood stove is running during the winter, but we want to be able to go away for a weekend without worrying about a low temperature and running the Rinnai propane heater too hard after the woodstove goes out..
any ideas or suggestions?....thx
What you trying to do, would be the same as fart in the bath tub and call it a Jacuzzi.
With that said, IMO you would get more efficient heat from radiant floor than you would get from baseboard, not to mention the warm air will cool down more quickly in the crawl space before it will heat the floor above.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
If a cold floor is the problem then you need to fix the cold floor. Most likely with a thermal break and radiant heat. Baseboard isn't going to do a thing for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for replies....
I do have one concern with the radiant floor.
currently I don't need to heat the crawl space.
The baseboard was installed in case we needed it. We didn't know if we would need it when we moved to our cottage that was never utilized full time before..
The question is, if I do radiant, I will need to insulate the joists after the pex and plates are installed. Will this drop the temp in the crawl space to the point that I will need to heat it?
I am assuming that the crawl space is staying warm from the heat transfer from the main floor now.
(we do have two levels floor space separated by 1 step, so there could be transfer on the one side of the wall for 16" x30'.)

thx

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
... Will this drop the temp in the crawl space to the point that I will need to heat it?..
How the heck would we know? If you're worried about the pipes freezing, keep a close eye on it, run a little space heater a couple times a day if it looks as if the pipes are going to freeze, and deal with it if it becomes a problem.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You will love the radiant heat. Temp of the floor will be 72, eye level 70 and ceiling even less. No more heating the ceiling.

With no insulation in the crawl space check the temp. keep adding 1" foam until the desired heat balance is reached.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts