Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever attach Radiance to a 10" ROUND column?

I'm not so sure it will work straight out of the box with standard hardware but maybe I'm wrong.

Anyone?

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
Not Radiance/ TT product but I did conect ipe 5/4 to a composite 12'' round colomn with a jig saw and a pattern for the cut. It involved a 3'' shop made plug I drilled thru taped the plug in clear into the hollow colomn with tightbond 111 pluged the holes with a standared ipe plug.

I held the damm things tight with a band clamp,like the ones the Bone uses, and it was a real Pain!! Not any real movement down the road the long plugs were at somewhat of a 90 into the colomns.

I cant see any hardware working for your thing unless you had it custom made but you could use a plug or something like it and cover the hole with one of those pound in composite plugs that seem to work ok. J.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Hollow column? Can you get blocking inside it?

Maybe a toggle bolt set up would be a solution...haven't done it, just thinkin' out loud. Something to spread that load around the fiberglas w/o opening up the side too much.

Mac

·
Workin' Hard & Havin' Fun
1,763 Posts
We've done it-
Cut it a bit long, then use a belt sander to chew out a bit of the rail, to compensate for the curve.
Use the hardware, and perhaps add some adhesive inside the H channel- and silicone along the cap rail/column line...

HTH,
~Matt

·
Fine Deckbuilder
402 Posts
Endurance railing makes a connector for in between the column (with a contour on one side for the column and a flat side on the other side for the attachment of the railing.
It is a little hard to see but if you look at the column/railing attachment you will see that piece in between.
Clemens

Attachments

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We are attaching to a hollow aluminum column. I just can't see the stock hardware working on a curved surface.

It may just be easier to make some sort of mounting block as its just one column and one connection.

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
5,553 Posts
Just had a thought looking at the fine work of Clemens.

Not trying to blame you for my dumbarse thought here.

You could put a regular post next to the column. Might look ok, might not.

·
Workin' Hard & Havin' Fun
1,763 Posts
for making a mount: Get yourself a thick piece of Azek. Rout it out as much as needed, and glue it to the post, rounding the edges of your Azek block slightly.
Mount to that, replacing the railing screws with longer ones that will extend into the columns.

We did this model of install on some skewed rails that didn't have brackets that would work.
~Matt

·
Registered
209 Posts
Use the hardware that comes with the kit. Use the same principles attaching the railing to the column as you would to the post. Just as others said, cut it a half an inch long and belt sand the profile. It's a piece of cake..:thumbsup:

mike 179.jpg

mike 178.jpg

mike 176.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts