Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a guy who wants me to spray the underside of the sheathing in his condo attic with something called "Radiance e-0.25 Attic Barrier". I have never heard of it, but it looks like neat stuff. It is a metallic silver finish that blocks the radiant heat. It looks pretty straightforward to apply, but since I have never seen it, I'm a little apprehensive. Will it cause some weird moisture problem and result in thousands of dollars of damage to the roof? Will the odor make everybody in the condo ill? Will my sprayer explode? If this stuff is so great, how come nobody else is using it?

·
30 year novice
548 Posts
I can't see what benefit this will do, if he's looking for an added R value I doubt if it will do anything when there is an air gap between the insulation and the sheathing. If there is a moisture problem on the under side of the sheathing then this is a band aid solution, he needs to solve the reason for the moisture in the 1st place.

·
Sean
5,533 Posts
It is from BASF & I don't see the typical marketing shenanigans which is good

You may note that they do not call it a "radiant barrier" because it does not qualify as one & they also do not state an R-Value as there is none. Depending on how well you read between the lines, they essentially mention it only works in summer time which is another +1

To radiant barrier or not to radiant barrier depends on a few factors namely location & climate. In most cases unless you are in a very sunny & hot climate, you wont see much benefit. in order of actual results - cool roof first, radiant sheathing 2nd, foil crap 3rd, legitimate sprayed on products 4th & this assuming proper install, etc... As an FYI - ceramic products don't rank unless they are integrated with an above product

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good info. I wound up letting the customer take care of it. He rented a sprayer and made it work. I still did the painting inside.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts