Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Contractor
4,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put my new 2019 Sprinter into service exactly one year ago and put on 29,500 miles and 760 hours (according to the dash). That's over 31 days of driving-ugh.

Anyone else make the tradeoff between higher paying service areas/clients and drive time? I had been averaging 20k-25k but Covid has kept me busier than ever.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
I consistently average 23k miles a year. I’m at the top of my service area so I drive south almost every morning.
I’ve learned to like driving. Especially since I bought a new truck this year and all the tools are in a trailer. My mornings are now quiet 30 minute trips that allow me to mentally organize the day. I’ve also driven the same way away from my house so much I know five different ways to get to the main thorough fare’s so heavy traffic isn’t as big an issue, it’s more important to plan the time of day correctly.
14mpg still sucks though!

·
Registered
9,603 Posts
I travel a minimum of 1 hr each way to my work area
I like to drive and am used the the extreme traffic we have in NJ
this winter a customer paid me to travel 2 hrs each way

·
Registered
292 Posts
Anything over 30 min the guys are on the clock both ways. I charge customers for this with mark up. Most of my work is between 15-20 door to door. 30k in a year is pretty impressive, how many years you plan on keeping your van putting on that type of mileage?

·
The Dude
2,388 Posts
Put my new 2019 Sprinter into service exactly one year ago and put on 29,500 miles and 760 hours (according to the dash). That's over 31 days of driving-ugh.

Anyone else make the tradeoff between higher paying service areas/clients and drive time? I had been averaging 20k-25k but Covid has kept me busier than ever.
Back in the day I had a 5 year old truck. 250k miles on it so ... 30k in a year isn't too bad?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I used to do about 25-30k a year, most days were at least 100 miles. Since starting my company I work closer, so not as many miles now. My '12 has 210k on it

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
The Dude
2,388 Posts
First guy I worked for had two 15 year old F250s as company trucks, one with 400k on it, the other with 350k. I asked him how long he was planning on keeping them and he goes "Chit, I've wanted a new truck for the last 5 years, but these [email protected] just won't quit!"
I'm STILL pissed off the HOA I used to live at made me get rid of my 96 F-250 stroke. I hope all their plants die, their lawns overgrow with weeds, their pool goes green and galls, and a paint shortage makes them pick between flaking off paint, or various shades of teal, purple, or pink.

·
The Dude
2,388 Posts
I can walk. Shop is at my house and I only leave probably once a week.
HAHA! yeah, it's great to not have to leave the homestead. Most of my service work I can do remotely, I only have to leave if its something I have to be on site for - install or a hardware failure.

·
Registered
HVAC Technician Commercial/Industrial
20 Posts
Last year I did 1500 miles a week. I hired some help at the beginning of this year to cover half my territory, mileage is way down. I was spending 80+ hours a month in my truck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts