Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
GC/carpenter
43,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hauled 1920 lbs on these racks today. A buttload of Timbertech composite. Then cut it all to size in my driveway. I don't know of any other racks I would trust to put a ton of wieght on. I'm sure they are out there but I dont know of any better.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I hauled 1920 lbs on these racks today. A buttload of Timbertech composite. Then cut it all to size in my driveway. I don't know of any other racks I would trust to put a ton of wieght on. I'm sure they are out there but I dont know of any better.
Bet that made you slow down a bit being that top heavy!

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Mine met its match with a bunch of treated 2x material. I had taken out the middle support between the cab and tailgate. Didn't think to put it back on. Loaded it way to heavy. Upon unloading I realized that the weight actually bent the horizontal bar behind the cab. It was stupid on my part to put that much weight on. They are extremely nice racks.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
the racks are one thing, but how much is that truck rated for?

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Do the legs go all the way to the bed Mike? I have seen racks that sit on top of the bed sides spread the fenders after a while.

I bought a rack years ago and the legs went down to the bed. They bolted to the sides too. That was on my 1/2 ton. It was a nice rack for an aftermarket unit.

Current Royal build along with the utility bed. 45 2x10s were on there at one time. No problem.

Reactions: Calidecks

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
Picked these up for 100$ 8 years ago. Perfect for carrying ladder or brake and maybe small lumber order. Sometimes the ladder rattle gives me a headache so dont always want to drive around with one and sometimes like to actually not look like a contractor every place i go..(only vehicle)

Attachments

·
Registered
506 Posts
jaydee said:
watch out on crushing bed rails. did that once. Made my own on top od 8 ft side boxes . now I can and do carry a ship load
Ditto on this. We have an 08 3/4 Chevy at work and the box on it literally fell apart within two years. The rack is now posted down to the frame as are the rest of the company trucks now.

·
GC/carpenter
43,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ditto on this. We have an 08 3/4 Chevy at work and the box on it literally fell apart within two years. The rack is now posted down to the frame as are the rest of the company trucks now.
This is my sixth Chevy and Ive been loading my racks just like in this picture for years with out one incident. It makes a difference when the racks have angle iron the full length of the bed rail.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
506 Posts
Californiadecks said:
This is my sixth Chevy and Ive been loading my racks just like in this picture for years with out one incident. It makes a difference when the racks have angle iron the full length of the bed rail. Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk
They had heavy angle the whole length. Are they your personal trucks or solely company trucks? It's amazing what guys will do to something that they aren't paying to fix.

·
GC/carpenter
43,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They had heavy angle the whole length. Are they your personal trucks or solely company trucks? It's amazing what guys will do to something that they aren't paying to fix.
They are solely company trucks. I have two 2500 3/4 tons. But if they break I still have to fix them or make an insurance claim. I have commercial insurance policies on both.

·
GC/carpenter
43,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ive never went beyond 2000 lbs, the good thing about composite is the wieght is easy to figure because it's so consistent. Unlike lumber its not as an exact science when it comes to wieght.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
You can always have it delivered to the job for around $50-75
That's what I do, saves me wear and tear.

·
Registered
506 Posts
m1911 said:
You can always have it delivered to the job for around $50-75 That's what I do, saves me wear and tear.
Deliverys not always an option. We do lots of work on ice in the winter and the lumber yard isn't a fan of wet slushy ice roads.

·
GC/carpenter
43,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You can always have it delivered to the job for around $50-75
That's what I do, saves me wear and tear.
The problem with this is I like to inspect the bottoms of the decking. Lot of times its phucked up from being scraped with the lift. Also often times there's no place to drop it on site, such as where I'm at now, it's a condo.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
The problem with this is I like to inspect the bottoms of the decking. Lot of times its phucked up from being scraped with the lift. Also often times there's no place to drop it on site, such as where I'm at now, it's a condo.

I usually stop by local ganahl and pick out the material, and have them pull and tag it for me, it and deliver in few days.

But yeah, you can't always have it delivered to all job types, I know.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts