Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know what the R value of 3.5" of bat guano is?

I was working today rewiring a 1920's home. When I cut in a box on the third floor, loads of very stinky dried bat guano poured out of the box cutout. I got a shop vac out of the truck and started vacuuming out the stud bay. Apparently, almost the entire height of that stud bay was completely filled with bat crap. That's the first time that ever happened to me. I jokingly asked the paperhanger that was stripping walls downstairs if he knew what the R value of bat guano was, and explained what I found. He came upstairs to see the proof himself. I took the top off the shop vac to show him, and we both were immediately repulsed by the strong smell.

Some people think that an electricians job is glamorous...

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
mdshunk said:
Some people think that an electricians job is glamorous...

lol

You know bat guano is some of the best fertalizer in the world. If you have a garden or know someone who does they would kill for it.

you hit the mother load... you know... fertalizer wise... ;)

·
Registered
378 Posts
While on subject of bats,i should note bats can carry rabies so getting bit by one is not a good idea. If customer has bat problem this is best left to professional. I had to deal with a few bats last season,were hanging out under eves of house.

W

·
0 Posts
First I need to know what the bat's diet and cholestoral are. If there are multiple bats, I will need the weight of each bat. Also needed for more accurate results is the family history of the bat(s). I will also need to know the size of each hole or gap in the stud cavity, the thickness of the material the hole is in, the size in cubic millimeters of the area that it opens into, and the average and adjusted (R+M/2 method) temps of that area. One last thing I need is the amount of days that the moon is in the Waning Gibbous phase. Then I will be able to calculate the standard M, Z, and O, manual Q, automatic S, and sometimes Y numbers. I can plug them into my conversion calculator and the results will tell me that the homeowner has a very poor sense of smell!

What did the homeowner say about this? Did you tell them?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not every thing has to be complicated ............. Just ask robin he has been a cathcher for batman forever.

·
Registered
295 Posts
See, you learn something new everyday! I always thought that bat guano was odorless! Then again after working on a main drain everything becomes odorless! :eek:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Longacre, I can see that Glass has some competition.
Good thing, he's been slacking lately.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts