Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dunno if this is the right place to ask, but hey, plumbers know stuff about water right?

I bought my house off my folks last year. Sweetheart deal on a nice place in a great area, so I woulda been an idiot not to, however, its always had really nasty water.

The water had a rotten egg kinda smell to it for years, so when we moved in so I shocked the well and that helped well with that, but the water still has a funky metallic smell to it. Iron city, totally. Scrub the toilet white and in 2 days its iron stained, the fiberglass tub wont even come clean, the shower head I put in 3 months ago is already a nice rust color, and a couple weeks ago I filled my daughters swimming pool with 300 or so gallons from the well and it was brownish yellow...after a few days it settled to some really nice rusty sediment.

I swear, take a couple showers, do a couple loads of laundry, and do the dishes a few times and you've run enough iron through my pipes to cast a 350 chevy block.

I want to get on my remodeling soon, part of which includes re-doing the bathroom, adding a bathroom, adding a dishwasher, and eventually setting up a hot tub in my basement, so I'd kind of like the top of my priority list to be curing this iron issue if at all possible. Any ideas on what I can do and how badly my wallet is going to cry?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Sounds like water softner time guy.

They are a little expensive but will save you a whole lot of grief.

BJD

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I have a green sand filter which removes the iron, it is before the water softener. The water is great and the only drawback is that you cannot use any liquid chlorines.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The first thing I would do before jumping too conclusions is have my water analyzed.There may be other minerals contributing to the problem. Once this is done then you can look at the different solutions. Obviously, price will depend on what quality level you want your'e water to be at, for example to be able to drink right out of your'e tap will be most the most expensive.

In the meantime,and of course depending on you're remodeling time frame I would go to HD and buy a cheap filter and install it right on you're main. They are pretty simple to install since they come with compression fittings. You would be surprised how well (no pun intended) they work and would improve the quality of you're water for showers and for filling the pool. The downside is you will find yourself changing the filter frequently. But, what do you want for free water.

By the way, you can call a water filtration co. and they will come out and sample you're water and give you an estimate on a system. I guess it would'nt hurt to get a few to compare and lead you in the right direction.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys, the sooner I get it taken care of the sooner y wife is likely to shut up about it :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts