Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dilemna...recently I quoted on a job to to do some renovations for a client. We provide a specialized service and hire trades to complete the balance. I received a call from a GC looking to have us quote...on the same job. How do I approach this?

Do I:
A. Tell him we are quoting for someone else but will provide him with a quote as well?
B. Keep it to myself and provide the quote.
C. Try to increase the odds of getting the job and form an alliance to provide similar quotes and see who gets the job with the intention of using each other's services?
D. Decline doing the quote and take our chances.
E. Any suggestions???

Hope there's someone with some insight out there...

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
I'd tell him the HO is shopping the job
and go from there.

·
Banned
395 Posts
Who Knows y

I wonder how the other GC knew you were bidding on this project, did the client tell them about you? and if so, is the client "rooting" for either of you to land the job?

(sometimes project managers have a 'dog' in the race but have to get 3 honest bids for their client)

It's important to know how this other contractor fits in, I mean if he can do the entire job himself? then I doubt he has your best interest in mind. However if he's approaching you in a way that guarantees you'll get part of the job if he's hired, then go for it.

Set the terms for what your willing to do for him, provide him with a quote for the part of the work you specialize in and vise versa. But do NOT give him the total project cost. he is competition after all and might just be fishing for numbers to low ball you out of a job.

This way if you get the contract you can put him to work and hopefully he'll to the same for you if he lands it. :shifty:

·
Dr Heat
516 Posts
this is not a dilemma it is typical. As a sub I bid with the generals that are bidding a job. I often get the names of the generals and solicit them. Generals get multiple bids from like trades so what is the problem?

Now I do not give every general the same price. Some factors to consider.

Is the general a fast pay?
Does he have a good rep?
Will he be on the job or does he manage from afar?

You may not be able to answer these questions unless you have done work for the contractor in the past.

You cannot be loyal to someone else till first you are loyal to self.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Quote-Quote-Quote!

We call it business and we do not care where it comes from.

We bid all the time with several different builders for the same job. I strongly agree with the tin man. Who pays the best and who is the easiest to work with will get the best price.

We have a $2-5000 but head add on charge for the slow pay or hard to work for builder.:thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts