Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am a siding contractor and i am looking for input on what you all put into a quote besides just the price?
I am trying to market towards a higher end client and i know i need to present myself in the best light i can to get these jobs.

i want to show my client what they are all getting
ie
a list of the lead hand and workers and what qualifies them for the job and a list of the workers who will be scheduled for that job

a project management plan along with how we deal with repairs at the end of the job

i am looking for advice at what else you add to a quote?

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Give them a detailed SOW, how you will accomplish it & explain the high quality materials you will use.

Mentioning "repairs" gives a bad connotation.

Instead state how you will handle warranty issues in the unlikely event they come up.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
I'm a bit speechless, but I'll try to help you.

A detailed scope of work is important.

They probably won't care about who exactly is doing the work since you are the one on the hook.

If you are only at the quote step with this client, make it look professional with no typos or bad grammar and deliver it personally where you can at that point sell your subs and why you are the best choice.

A quote (and even a contract for that matter) should not be littered with commentary since it doesn't matter and in my experience, the longer the quote, the less likely they are to read it through.

Focus on the price, several options, and a very detailed scope of work. Sell the other things in person.

My $000.000,000.02;)

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,622 Posts
For a quote be as detailed as you can. This will end up being the contract that you can use as a reference if conflicts happen. If this is just an estimate then a basic description of the job and a price with a range.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the help so far

i agree with the grammar and clearly i dont know chit about that lol

my reasoning for the detail of who they are getting on site would not be a list of bob,dan and frank. but more a list that they would have installers who are licensed and what those licenses are .
we have lots of fly by nights installers and i want the client to know what they are getting

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
You start listing names & lic. numbers people are going to want to contact them to see if they can work out a cheaper price.

I don't quite understand how you are able to book this work and then sub it all out. Why aren't the licensed installers just picking up this work? What will prevent this? What's to keep them from subbing it out again?

·
Super Moderator
28,863 Posts
Detailed scope, laying out what is needed, required and what will be done, as well as what materials you are using. From permits, insurance, plans, survey, ect... realize you dont need plans and surveys or plats for siding and cornice, but you get my drift. All the way to clean up.

·
The Finisher
1,396 Posts
Your over thinking it Guardian. An Estimate/Quote/Proposal should have a detailed scope of work, listing all labor, and materials with pricing and options.

The sell or pitch is done before you even write the quote. Work on selling and presenting during the estimate, if you want to appeal to the "higher end client" IMO.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You start listing names & lic. numbers people are going to want to contact them to see if they can work out a cheaper price.

I don't quite understand how you are able to book this work and then sub it all out. Why aren't the licensed installers just picking up this work? What will prevent this? What's to keep them from subbing it out again?

i dont sub any of my work out.
many guys dont want the headache of running a business
i have a guy who has been doing siding for 34 years and is very happy to be just be a worker and not have to chase work. he chased work for most of his life and hated it

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
This is a little complicated.... but it comes down to reading and subsequently understanding each of your specific/individual clients.

In one definitial personality context, if he is a "driver", give him only basic facts... cost, completion, ask for his authorization.

If he is an "analytic", give him all the detail, engineering, pro's con's... ask his recommendation and authorization.

If he is an "amiable"... talk fishing, and ask him if you can start Monday...

If he is an "expressive" listen to him, BS with him, and ask him what you should do for him.

This is a little simplified..... the point is that there is not one simple approach for each personality of customer.....

You'll learn with experience (and sme reading study on sales won't hurt ya.

Best

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is a little complicated.... but it comes down to reading and subsequently understanding each of your specific/individual clients.

In one definitial personality context, if he is a "driver", give him only basic facts... cost, completion, ask for his authorization.

If he is an "analytic", give him all the detail, engineering, pro's con's... ask his recommendation and authorization.

If he is an "amiable"... talk fishing, and ask him if you can start Monday...

If he is an "expressive" listen to him, BS with him, and ask him what you should do for him.

This is a little simplified..... the point is that there is not one simple approach for each personality of customer.....

You'll learn with experience (and sme reading study on sales won't hurt ya.

Best

i love that response :) thanks

i am doing about 250,000 sq/ft of hardie a year now and have been in the business 11 years so i am not new to any of this.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Be sure to not miss the simple important things-date, names, addresses estimated finish time, pay schedule, etc..
I use Excel and itemize and categorize line items just as you would in your head, then give them it, with only the total figure.
People like to see that you have spent the time to show that you have considered all important aspects of the projects.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts