1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats the difference?
or i am very much confused, or many here use the wrong terminology

for how I was taught:
when a potential client calls me to fix his leaky roof, I quote him a price.

when a potential client has a architect with a job proposal detailing every single work to be done, and in which manner how said work will be done,
and which materials and or companies will be used to do said work:
i bid that specific job.

when a company goes to see a, lets say, kitchen renovation,
said company quotes a price for what they think is needed to be done.

its not called a bid.
or is it?

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
I never provide "bids". I only provide quotes.

To me a bid is your best price to buy or sell something that is either tangible or EXACTLY the same regardless of who does it. (Which is why this term is used in auctions)

A quote on the other hand is a price to perform a service that may differ greatly from one provider to the next in terms of quality of work, quality of service, or other non-measurable items.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
as i figured,
so on quotes, their is nothing no way to control what the contractor puts in his quote
that is, 2 different contractors for the same job are probably light yrs in difference next to how they see the job.

when a contractor see's a client, and makes an offer, do you's provide different solutions?
as in, 3 different quotes for the same job varying qualities of materials, workmanship, decor, etc..?

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
as i figured,
so on quotes, their is nothing no way to control what the contractor puts in his quote
that is, 2 different contractors for the same job are probably light yrs in difference next to how they see the job.

when a contractor see's a client, and makes an offer, do you's provide different solutions?
as in, 3 different quotes for the same job varying qualities of materials, workmanship, decor, etc..?
In a residential setting, absolutely. There is absolutely no way that any 2 typical contractors will come in with exactly the same ideas either.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rarely do we do quote work, other than small side jobs.
all our jobs are bids, you wanna work, you bid to work, I never say to clients when i lose a bid that because the crew that won it does crappy work and is not trustworthy, very unprofessional, in all senses.

as you should know, all companies that are allowed to bid have the exact same details as the competition, which makes it kinda hard to get plumbers raking in 300 an hour. :)

commercial, or residencial, 90% of the time the jobs you win by bidding.
their are exceptions, but you won't get far asking high dollar.
seems like the clients are a lot smarter here.
right or wrong, its keeps everything honest and in prespective

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
You can also submit a proposal with a quote attached. That separates the apples from the oranges in residential work.

A quote is the money part of either a bid or a proposal

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
I provide estimates and quotes.

Estimates are based on average pricing for what the client is wanting and provides them a general idea of cost. They can be done very quickly.

Quotes are a firm price for a specific scope of work, with all materials and finishes specified. These take a little more time to get exact labor and material costs for that job.

Bids are submitted when you are competing against other contractors to see who can do a project for the lowest price. I avoid those like the plague.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
rarely do we do quote work, other than small side jobs.
all our jobs are bids, you wanna work, you bid to work, I never say to clients when i lose a bid that because the crew that won it does crappy work and is not trustworthy, very unprofessional, in all senses.

as you should know, all companies that are allowed to bid have the exact same details as the competition, which makes it kinda hard to get plumbers raking in 300 an hour. :)

commercial, or residencial, 90% of the time the jobs you win by bidding.
their are exceptions, but you won't get far asking high dollar.
seems like the clients are a lot smarter here.
right or wrong, its keeps everything honest and in prespective
:rolleyes:

I thought you were asking what our personal definitions were of bid vs quote.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:rolleyes:

I thought you were asking what our personal definitions were of bid vs quote.
i was, i think.
or i new and get confused read some peoples threads.
and i wasn't sure what is meant when i read about someone who quotes a job if the other quotes from different builders were on the same design or not

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
I provide estimates and quotes.

Estimates are based on average pricing for what the client is wanting and provides them a general idea of cost. They can be done very quickly.

Quotes are a firm price for a specific scope of work, with all materials and finishes specified. These take a little more time to get exact labor and material costs for that job.

Bids are submitted when you are competing against other contractors to see who can do a project for the lowest price. I avoid those like the plague.
It's not always the lowest price that gets the job. Sometimes a company gets (quotes from) 3 companies to "bid" a job, but they only want 1 to do it. They use the other 2 to satisfy a requirement or just to make sure that their regular guy is still in the realm of reasonability.

With a bid, the project is finalised...there are specs and drawings and various requirements that anyone who does the job must meet. With a proposal each company has their own view of the final outcome and the customer gets to choose the one they want for whatever reason they want. Both a bid and a proposal have a quote attached to them....it's the money part. A bid will only have the money part because Archies and Engineers have already done the proposal...essentially

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's not always the lowest price that gets the job. Sometimes a company gets (quotes from) 3 companies to "bid" a job, but they only want 1 to do it. They use the other 2 to satisfy a requirement or just to make sure that their regular guy is still in the realm of reasonability.

With a bid, the project is finalised...there are specs and drawings and various requirements that anyone who does the job must meet. With a proposal each company has their own view of the final outcome and the customer gets to choose the one they want for whatever reason they want. Both a bid and a proposal have a quote attached to them....it's the money part. A bid will only have the money part because Archies and Engineers have already done the proposal...essentially
your first para is everywhere, where they ask for a bid/quote only to check the honesty of the one they are gonna hire.

the rule for the second para is usually they ask 5 bids, toss out the highest, and the lowest, then go from there.

there are exception, only once here have i seen the client go with the highest bidder, they figured they work was better, the company that made the bid had a shot load of work and doubled their price.

There is no way( other than working for other GC's) to not do bids.

then there is the dishonest way things are normally done,
That the Achiìs and GC's become somewhat partners under the table for certain jobs.
where the proposals are flimsy and don't reflect the actual works to be done.
and ends up costing the client 4 times the bidding price,
those people i avoid like the plague.

most of my works comes from picking up the pieces after these Companies get done raping the client from everything.

ya gotta love the construction business

·
GC/carpenter
43,916 Posts
I bid the job, and give them a qoute written on a proposal. Before the contract agreement. How's that? :laughing:

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
dom-mas said:
It's not always the lowest price that gets the job. Sometimes a company gets (quotes from) 3 companies to "bid" a job, but they only want 1 to do it. They use the other 2 to satisfy a requirement or just to make sure that their regular guy is still in the realm of reasonability. With a bid, the project is finalised...there are specs and drawings and various requirements that anyone who does the job must meet. With a proposal each company has their own view of the final outcome and the customer gets to choose the one they want for whatever reason they want. Both a bid and a proposal have a quote attached to them....it's the money part. A bid will only have the money part because Archies and Engineers have already done the proposal...essentially
That's true. Sometimes my quote is a bid as well, if the owner is getting prices from other contractors. Can't help that when it happens, but I try to avoid it.

Sometimes I know that sometimes I don't, but I sell the value of what I can do, not a low price, in either case. I'm pretty much never the lowest price, and when I am, I slap my forehead and ask myself where I went horribly wrong.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
I hope nobody is giving the lowest price they can do something for. I hope everyone is doing it for the price they "need" to do it for. Maybe the price is low becasue your hungry, maybe it's high because your too busy...whatever. I give a price based on my needs, and not what someone elses pricing

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,685 Posts
For me a bid is when you are an invited party to price out a job. You and several other companies will bid the project.

Usually a quote is for when you are invited as a single party to price a job.

Both could be considered quotes.

·
Super Moderator
28,886 Posts
A bid is any proposal I submit that is fixed price. I very clearly lay out what will be done, what will not be done and what products will be used.

Reactions: blacktop
1 - 20 of 118 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.