Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
On-demand/Combi boilers are a great idea when it's a home that dont use a lot of hot water and have very minimal amount of bathrooms. I wouldnt use one on anything more than 2 bathrooms and 2 adults and 2 children. The most powerful type i have ever installed had trouble filling 2 baths at the same time. Some of them have a storage tank inside that keeps a few gallons of water always hot so that as soon as you turn on the tap you have hot like you would from a cylinder. But like i said they have Flow rate problems and aint like having a 80gallon cylinder. With these things though you normally get what you pay for. The ones that give you higher flow rate and higher pressures and expensive.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks BC The gallons/minute at 90 degree increase is almost addiquate. Our water is about 40 degrees out of the ground. However I can install a storage tank that can be used or isolated depending upon need. The residence is a vacation type 2bd 2bth

I was mostly wondering about the quietside reputation in general. Dependable? Troublesome? I know the controls seem to baffle some of the local techs if the installation is anything but "typical"

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Thanks BC The gallons/minute at 90 degree increase is almost addiquate. Our water is about 40 degrees out of the ground. However I can install a storage tank that can be used or isolated depending upon need. The residence is a vacation type 2bd 2bth

I was mostly wondering about the quietside reputation in general. Dependable? Troublesome? I know the controls seem to baffle some of the local techs if the installation is anything but "typical"

Well i have never heard of that brand so cant help you with that. Vaillant used to make some of the best heating/Combi units/solar units on the market. Might be worth seeing if they have a US division.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm helping my parents out by dealing with plumbing contractors to get a new NG direct vent intalled. I received 4 bids all in the same neighborhood with most bids specing a WM 85% direct vent. One guy was pushing the 90% Quietside DPW-120a as the solution. I was wondering if anyone has anything new to add about the quietside system.

All systems with get the additional tank on sep zone for DHW for whats thats worth.

·
the pipe master
501 Posts
Electric tankless heaters are retarded. They serve no purpose and will never pay for themselves.

That said, if one was to install such a retarded device that would be the best one to install. The tempra is the only one that I don't get service calls on. I almost had a call on one but it turned out to be a bad circuit breaker.

PS. The ad that you most likely see on the bottom of the screen for the "Titan Tankless" is a trap. They are the biggest piece of crap of them all. The powerstream pro units come in at a close second for "biggest piece of junk ever invented". I get a few calls a year on those titans blowing up. Lots of complaints of temperature variation too. CRAP CRAP CRAP!

Did I mention that they are crap?

I have an electric on demand...I swear by it....

http://www.stiebel-eltron-usa.com/tempra.html

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Electric tankless heaters are retarded. They serve no purpose and will never pay for themselves.

Wrong wrong wrong....My neighborhood has no natural gas in the street. I also have no basement so I have little room for a oil fired water heater in the closet...I also wanted AC so an oil fired furnace with a tankless option was out of the question...along with government and utility company rebates, they nearly paid for all the equipment. I think I was out of pocket for 900 dollars for a new furnace with AC ductwork and the HW heater...I did all the labor of installing the equipment myself with my neighbor (HVAC guy) checking my work and charging the system.

·
Pro Plumber
2,779 Posts
Protech is right you should listen to him..

Here come the mods, we plumbers never gets to to anything there all for shutting down these threads for no dam reason,

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I see. So, just how much does an electric tankless heater save over a modern electric tanked heater in terms of stand by loss percentages?

I await your knowledgeable answer........:whistling
I have no idea what it saves or doesn't save as far as fuel consumption...my point is space and amount of continual hot water. Picture a fat azz tank in this room and you coming to service the furnace...I'll bet you would bi*ch and moan then....:w00t:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have no idea what it saves or doesn't save as far as fuel consumption...my point is space and amount of continual hot water. Picture a fat azz tank in this room and you coming to service the furnace...I'll bet you would bi*ch and moan then....:w00t:

Looks like a jackleg piped in that damn heater. You think that is an okay install, worthy of posting on a forum, for the world to see?

·
the pipe master
501 Posts
I think he was referring to the braided supplies and the lack of a full port ball valve.

Just wait until a flow sensor goes bad or an element blows and you get to live without hot water for a week while the part gets ordered. I'm a service plumber so I know a thing or to about tankless heaters. I'm the guy who gets to tell the homeowner that they will be paying to overnight the special order part.

In your defense, that tempra is the most reliable electric tankless around. Electric units as a whole are very unreliable though.

And the answer to my previous question is 1-3%. That works out to $1 or less per month for most people.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I think I have most of that all covered...the cold 3/4 inch line does have a ball valve on it...and also the meter is in the same closet with a shut off on both sides...The braided lines come with the Tempa unit and the directions specify their use. As for waiting for a part...Stiebel Eltron is only about an hour and fifteen minutes from my house...and I have also taken my fair share of cold showers when I was younger...it's not a big deal...:clap:

I think he was referring to the braided supplies and the lack of a full port ball valve.

Just wait until a flow sensor goes bad or an element blows and you get to live without hot water for a week while the part gets ordered. I'm a service plumber so I know a thing or to about tankless heaters. I'm the guy who gets to tell the homeowner that they will be paying to overnight the special order part.

In your defense, that tempra is the most reliable electric tankless around. Electric units as a whole are very unreliable though.

And the answer to my previous question is 1-3%. That works out to $1 or less per month for most people.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts