Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Multiquip diesel 7kw.
http://www.multiquip.com/multiquip/DA7000SSA1.htm
These are even more money then the honda option. Might not be as quiet as the inverters don't know at that wattage. Compared to a honda or wacker neuson 5600 watt it is very quiet. 20' away can barely tell it's running. They are quiet large and heavy though so take that into consideration.
What are the power requirements? Power tools or?

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,007 Posts
I agree with the Honda. mine is a 7000 inverter. pretty quite. But thing is they cost. Best other thing to do is just go on line check them out as far as noise level.

·
Box Builder
6,320 Posts
I have the eu6500. It is super quiet. They also do a 5000 watt that is still pretty quiet inverter Eco throttle etc. u get what u pay for.

·
1,745 Posts
Quietest one I've ever had was a Honda. Big unit too, still real quiet. Don't remember the model. It grew legs one day.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
There are videos on Youtube where people retro-fitted a car muffler on the end of a standard Briggs & Stratton powered generator. Not only was the generator relatively quiet but they could also use it inside of the garage while exhausting it outside.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I have an inverter generator, really quiet.

·
90%-er
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Multiquip diesel 7kw.
http://www.multiquip.com/multiquip/DA7000SSA1.htm
These are even more money then the honda option. Might not be as quiet as the inverters don't know at that wattage. Compared to a honda or wacker neuson 5600 watt it is very quiet. 20' away can barely tell it's running. They are quiet large and heavy though so take that into consideration.
What are the power requirements? Power tools or?
Maybe some context will help. We're two weeks from being done with turning a 31 foot Airstream land yacht into a mobile cigar lounge that will be available for rent for weddings, corporate events, private parties, etc.

Power requirements are for the air conditioner, 6 LCD TV's, ventilation system, two electric heaters in the winter, Playstation, mini-fridge, and a large humidor.

I was thinking 5000-5500 would do it.

The entire thing will run off a whip that comes out the back end and plugs into what will hopefully be a very quiet generator.

We've got about 35k into this thing already, and I was hoping to keep the generator down to under 2k if possible.

Another suggestion we've had is to use a regular generator but build a vented "dog house" style housing to go over it. But I was thinking that wouldn't do enough for the noise control?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
This term "inverter generator" is new to me. What's the difference between these and the regular old generator I've got out in my trailer?
A traditional generator is a motor connected to an alternator. An inverter uses a 3phase AC generator that is converted to DC then uses an inverter to create 120V ac.

The result is cleaner power that you can run sensitive electronics off of. Also they are more expensive, more complicated, quieter and more compact.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,220 Posts
The result is cleaner power that you can run sensitive electronics off of. Also they are more expensive, more complicated, quieter and more compact.
And instead of running at a fixed speed to maintain 60 Hz, they can throttle down when there's low demand--meaning less noise and lower fuel consumption.

·
Registered
852 Posts
For fuel consumption the diesel option is the way to go. Powering a 7 man framing crew, we burn 15$ a day (10 hours) in fuel. That is pretty hard to beat. Even at full speed they are quiet with the sound enclosures. The 1800rpm ones are quieter yet, but only come in bigger sizes 15-20kw is small.

·
Gen. Contractor
3,194 Posts
If you are running tvs and electronics you have no choice but to buy an inverter. Regular generators do not produce "clean" power and are bad for electronics.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,220 Posts
If you are running tvs and electronics you have no choice but to buy an inverter. Regular generators do not produce "clean" power and are bad for electronics.
I've run plenty of electronics on a standard generator, including computers and fax machines. The power isn't that dirty, though inverter generators are cleaner.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts