Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Residential Remodels/Additions
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We currently are using the large (14 gallon or so) rigid shop vacs from the orange box and they are loud af. I've started having to tell staff to wear hearing protection when they use them. At the end of our day when senior staff is planning for the next day conversation has to stop because no one can hear over the vacs.

What are you guys using? Has anyone found a quiet reliable vacuum?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Their muffler thing helps a tiny bit.

Are you using it for end of day clean up? Attached to tools? Your use of it will dictate what would be best for the situation

- Rich

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,005 Posts
Wow.

I thought the Ridgid was pretty quiet.

Sometimea I wonder what folk are looking for these days.

Construction is loud, dusty, toxic, difficult, dangerous work.

If it was easy, we’d have women and children doing it. 😄

That being said, the Ridgid is a lot quieter than any of my ShopVacs.

And not nearly as powerful.

·
Designing YourImagination
260 Posts
Festool, it’s been the best vac we’ve ever used on the job and we are constantly getting compliments on how quite it is in comparison to other brands. There is a YouTube video of the comparisons of several vacs.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
18,665 Posts
I've got 4 vacs. The quietest one is the Fein by a long shot.

·
Registered
699 Posts
We currently are using the large (14 gallon or so) rigid shop vacs from the orange box and they are loud af. I've started having to tell staff to wear hearing protection when they use them. At the end of our day when senior staff is planning for the next day conversation has to stop because no one can hear over the vacs.

What are you guys using? Has anyone found a quiet reliable vacuum?
Buy some ear muffs. It’s construction.

Mike

·
Registered
91 Posts
Festool or Fein are going to be your two best options. Working in occupied home the rigids just don't cut it for us. I have the sysvac and the midi and both are well worth the money. I have 3 rigids and a shop vac and they only get used during demo ect.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
45,137 Posts
If you need a large capacity vacuum that is quiet expect to be shocked at the price. Fein and Festools are very quiet (for vacuums) but they aren't designed as shop vacs. They are more of a dust extractor to be used for removing dust from tools. When I think of shop vacs I think 2" hose and picking up larger items, small chunks of wood, electrical waste, sheetrock dust and crumbles etc.

For dust and chips the Fein would work (Festool also) but not for the bigger stuff. It'll work, but that's not what it's designed for.

Probably go for an industrial vacuum which will have a real motor on it (induction) which is where the quietness starts. As soon as you have a vacuum with an universal motor on it expect to wear earmuffs.

·
GC/carpenter
40,938 Posts
We have a Fein, Festool Midi, Milwaukee (rebranded Nilfisk) and a Ridgid. Each has its place.

The Fein is quiet and slightly more powerful than the Festool it gets used with the Mitersaw. The Festool gets used for power tools, Milwaukee is used for concrete cutting because it has an auto clean function. The Ridgid is the most powerful and the loudest. It gets used for the heavier stuff.

Mike.
___

1 - 15 of 15 Posts