Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nathan said:
Has anyone used Quickbooks for Contractors?
Is it worth the extra money?
Intuit is Australian company. They have been around for some time now and are definitly here to stay. QB for contractors is a "lite" version with limited features.

QB Pro however gives you the whole box and dice with multi-user, including payroll if you have employees its handy. The software is very good in what it does and I can't see any competitors on the horizon. probably explains why MS have had several goes at aquiring it.

Short falls.
Well my biggest beef is the way it handles "items" or in real speak "your materials you are going to sell"
The seaching of your materials database really sucks. I developed a package for electrical/plumbing and building contractors about 10 years ago that kicks butt. It really worked well with a big database of say 120,000 items. You could search on manufacturer type, group type for example "power points" or you could search for a part number. Easy.

Thats my biggest beef with QB. Other than that it is a very nice piece of code.

Cheers
Ross.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
I think I'll make an online accounting software that can be used through a pda.. and allow homeowners to login to check current costs.. would that be beneficial to anyone?

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Actually Hatchet :) I'm working on a total CRM solution from start to fonish and that was a thought in the back of my mind. It would be developed in PHP as the rest of the program is PHP. I was also thinking of placing a public calendar on the web site so customers can go look at their job schedule.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Grumpy said:
Actually Hatchet :) I'm working on a total CRM solution from start to fonish and that was a thought in the back of my mind. It would be developed in PHP as the rest of the program is PHP. I was also thinking of placing a public calendar on the web site so customers can go look at their job schedule.
As long as it comes with a built in link to ContractorsChatRoom.com I'm all for it! ;)

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
Nope.. it's all still the same. I've been waiting for someone to come up with a good method to use php to export to excel with full layout capabilities. I've been working on a couple ideas on how to do a cheaper construction management program like www.projecttalk.com (they charge 400 / million dollars annual volume). Some of the jobs we work on cost us 80k / year.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
Oh.. haha. The thing is that the clients pay for it (some even use it). The downside is that in todays market something like 80k could price you out of a job. So we're trying to pass it off as a voluntary alternate so it's not included in our base bid. Then if they see the benefit we get a change order for it.
Where we get into trouble is the company says we use it no matter what so we end up paying for it anyway - we just don't tell the owner we are until they step up to pay for it. So I guess we're umm.. ahem.. lyi..umm.. hiding the truth.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
Well I've been working on this accounting thing. Currently I have an addaccount and addjob page setup - they work even. Essentially you start by adding a job and then fill it with accounts.
The job table keeps track of contact information of the client, the job phone, fax, etc.. budget, total to date paid from owner, total of prime change orders, etc..etc. Much the same in the account table.. additionally the accounts table tracks if it's a labor, material, or subcontractor cost.
I'm thinking about doing a production tracking module also so, along with a labor code, it can be used for estimating.
Right now it's just the forms - once I get a decent design with some editing and listing functions I'll let everyone see it.
One cool thing I've put into it is the ability to pull subcontractor #'s and job #'s from a pull down menu that gathers all the #'s from the database. Works pretty slick.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Orginal question;
Found no benefit for QB for contractors.
QB Pro manages a business well.
QB Cont, = another way to get us dummys to pay fer something that is not complete

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought the book Contractor's Guide to QuickBooks Pro 2003. It has a sample company that you can use that is supposed to save several hours of setup time.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
When I'm done with my accounting webware you can all have a discounted copy to help me debug it.. haha. Well it's not really a copy.. because I'll be hosting it on my server.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts