Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an 03 version of quickbooks contractor. This version will not let me email invoices. I obviously need to update. I was wondering if any of you out there that actually like and use quickbooks contractor would recommend 09, or if 06, 07, or 08 are just as good? Are there any updates that make it worth the extra money? And for those of you that hate quickbooks, what would you recommend? I'm a very small business.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been using QB Pro Contractors for 9 years now.
First 2000 Pro, then 2004 Contractor and now 2007 Contractor
I use most of the features in QB including email and find them easy to use.
I only up-date when I have to because the payroll feature only last 3 years.
If you don't use the payroll then I guess you don't need to up-date that often.
I would recommend QB Contractors

·
Contractor, v2.0
188 Posts
Emailing invoices expires after a few years too. I have QB Premier Contractor 2006 and they just quit allowing that feature.

I'm looking to upgrade now too.

Trying to decide if I need the "contractor" one or just QB Pro.

It appears to me that Pro is all I really need - don't use the extra reports and I have a hand picked set of accounts to track expenses.

Anyone else use just PRO in their contracting business?

·
Tiling & Bath Contractor
270 Posts
I use QB Contractor 09

I'm only a sole prop and I love QB Contractor 09. Obviously I don't use all the features but it really helps me keep track of things.

As far as invoicing customers, I only use the invoice feature for my own records because I add profit margin etc to it and I don't want customers to see that.

I use the estimate feature for my own records and then generate an invoice from it. And I change the invoice to record what materials I actually used and didn't, this way I can tell if I accurately did the estimate or not; or if I billed more for materials than I actually used which means more profit for me.

I use another software to actually print the proposal for the customer so they only see what I want them to see, which is the fiinal price.

But overall I love QB. It's not that difficult to understand and is very customizeable.

·
Business Consulting
268 Posts
I'm only a sole prop and I love QB Contractor 09. Obviously I don't use all the features but it really helps me keep track of things.

As far as invoicing customers, I only use the invoice feature for my own records because I add profit margin etc to it and I don't want customers to see that.

I use the estimate feature for my own records and then generate an invoice from it. And I change the invoice to record what materials I actually used and didn't, this way I can tell if I accurately did the estimate or not; or if I billed more for materials than I actually used which means more profit for me.

I use another software to actually print the proposal for the customer so they only see what I want them to see, which is the fiinal price.

But overall I love QB. It's not that difficult to understand and is very customizeable.
Tile Lady, take the next step and use items, different amount for cost vs billing amount, you won't need to edit as much as you do or use duplicate programs. Just an idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts