Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Contractor Program
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some manufacturers implement benefit/reward programs for contractors as incentives to use their products. Benefits may include marketing materials, product discounts, leads, or free training courses.

My question is, which benefit is the biggest motivator for contractors to join such a program?

·
General Contractor
7,987 Posts
Never had a need for any of it therefore, don't need any rewards and all the BS that comes with it, there is plenty of work and moneys to be made without all that stuff...

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
Free stuff is ok but I am involved with Dewalt insights, which I do enjoy. The biggest complaint was, they allow us that test, give ideas and I answer every survey. This takes time, give us a discount on tools, not a chance at a gift card. I am loyal to that brand for all my cordless needs, just easier with batteries/chargers/etc. So give me a discount that I earn in referrals/demo/ideas on those tools. T-shirts and stuff are nice but I will always want more tools, LOL. Heck, they will still make money on the sale, I am not asking for it at cost.

·
Contractor Program
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I see incentives I think there must be a reason why they need to bribe you to buy the product.
Even large brands like Sherwin Williams or James Hardie? A large number of companies have preferred contractor programs. I see the benefits more as a "thank you" for using their products as opposed to a bribe.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
Even large brands like Sherwin Williams or James Hardie? A large number of companies have preferred contractor programs. I see the benefits more as a "thank you" for using their products as opposed to a bribe.
I agree, how is this different than contractor pricing on materials when you do big orders with Lowes/Menards/HD? They reward you for your business, this I think would be the samething.

·
This space for lease
5,323 Posts
How do you thank someone before they buy something? I was in manufacturing for decades and always gave my regular customers a better price. That's not atypical in business, it's how things work as far as I know.

You were asking about benefit/rewards programs so I ssume you were asking about something beyond what is typical.

·
Contractor Program
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How do you thank someone before they buy something? I was in manufacturing for decades and always gave my regular customers a better price. That's not atypical in business, it's how things work as far as I know.

You were asking about benefit/rewards programs so I ssume you were asking about something beyond what is typical.
It's not thanking them before they buy. They have to buy to receive the reward. Whether it's a free t-shirt or a product discount or leads, the "thank you" comes after the purchase. Ex. "If you purchase X, we will thank you with Y." I understand how it can be perceived as bribery, but I still think it's an expression of appreciation rather than coercion.

To clarify: I am asking about preferred contractor programs in general. I'd like to get a feel for which benefits are most important and which are of lesser perceived value.

·
Kowboy
2,062 Posts
Molly:

It's easy for customers to find out how much things cost these days, however, it's impossible for them to know my supplier discount and it's none of their business although the nosey undesirable types have no trouble asking.

If I can match an internet price and still make money through a supplier discount, I'm sticking with that supplier all other things being equal.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Free stuff always helps me.... leads are OK but I stay pretty busy as it is.

And when I say free stuff I mean tools or accessories. Shirts or hats I dont use because I wear hats with my business stuff on them. And other companies shirts are usually cheap and don't look professional enough for me.

·
Hair Splitter
18,326 Posts
I agree, how is this different than contractor pricing on materials when you do big orders with Lowes/Menards/HD? They reward you for your business, this I think would be the samething.
An incentive is just that, an incentive to choose X over Y brand due to an incentive. Not a qty price break on commodities.

That's how it is different.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts