Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Oh my I am so ashamed to be a US citizen now!

just kidding...I'm not really ashamed. I have 2 pair of saw pants and I'm free to wear them or not. I recommend them. If my government pays my health costs then they get to dictate my behavior. But then...I pay for it anyway don't I?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Dont even know what you are on about, shame dont come into it, but maybe someone else with a brain might read this and decide that some cheap protective clothing might be a better idea than a pack of blood clotter to bring along the next time they go chainsawing.
And as you dont know jack about me, I'll fill you in a bit, my dad lost all the fingers on his left hand with a chainsaw, I ripped open my shin really bad, and most of the guys I used to work with in the woods also got ripped in one way or the other. As a teenager we cut firewood for a damn hard living, we still have 40 acres of timber that we cut for ourselves each year, and I just wanted to point out that there is a way to avoid needing the quickclot. Face to face, you would not wise-ass me, so please be nice with your typing. The title of this section seemed to be safety last time I looked.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
You are absolutely correct its about safety.. but it changed to something else when you stated

If that accident happened over here, there would have been a prosecution, without a doubt, and whoever was responcible for the job would never get a permit to work again.

And as you dont know jack about me,
Actually I do..

I'll fill you in a bit, my dad lost all the fingers on his left hand with a chainsaw, I ripped open my shin really bad, and most of the guys I used to work with in the woods also got ripped in one way or the other. As a teenager we cut firewood for a damn hard living, we still have 40 acres of timber that we cut for ourselves each year
You work with a bunch of people that need laws to make you not cut your fingers off.

Face to face, you would not wise-ass me
bet I would.

The title of this section seemed to be safety last time I looked.
Then keep it about safety. Everyone here KNOWS saw pants are a good protection. I don't need laws to make me wear them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yeah I bet you would too:laughing:

Ok, to be honest, | only read the first line of your post, got [email protected] and fired back a post without reading the rest of what you wrote:shutup: So, genuinely, sorry. BUT, you also have to understand that over here, and in western europe in general, health and safety is the boss, and yep, if someone got cut like that, not only would you have to report it to the safety police, but you can be damn sure they would prosecute the site boss, and he would be hit with a massive fine, and find it nearly impossible to get insurance for site work again.
The sector I work in, before you get near a piece of work, every permit, insurance bond and detail of your tax affairs would have to be presented. Then, you would be inducted onto site(2-3 hours of a safety briefing), you would have to have: Full PPE for every man, to include Safety boots, Hard hat, hi-vis vest, mandatory gloves, mandatory safety glasses and probably respiratory protection. Then You would get to write a method statement for the task to be completed, however small, alongside a task by task risk-assesment, get a work permit, get a hot-work permit for any sparky type work(weld/cut), stage a fire watch for 30mins after any hot works, etc,etc. If any man operates any piece of equipment, even a hand held power tool, that tool has to have a current safety cert and tag attatched(costs big$), if any man leaves ground level by so much as a foot, he has to wear a safety harness with a current cert, if he even steps into a cherry picker, he has to have a licence to operate it, and wear a harness. All workers have to have a current manual handling certificate, as well as all workers carrying a 4 year renewable safe-pass card to say they have undertaken a full days general safety training course(mandatory). If one of my guys took off his safety glasses and was seen by a safety officer, he would be thrown off site(for a second offence). If any of my guys turns up with a high vis vest not bearing my company name, he cannot get onto site. Most of the places we work also require you to pass through an airport style metal detector on your way in and out, and we are usually accompanied by a security guard at all times, regardless of how long we have worked there- it is usually mandatory company policy. If one of my guys cut his finger, and it bleeds, I am required to fill out an accident report form, notify the site safety officer in writing, and then accompany the worker to the local hospital for a check-up, no way around it. I then have to present the hospitals discharge letter to the site safety officer. If you have kept from falling asleep so far, my point is this : these are all American companies with a manufacturing base here in Ireland- fortune 500 companies, and I can no longer get my head around a guy sticking a saw in his leg - I would just simply be out of business in an instance. When we use any kind of saw, we have to cordon off the whole area as well as all of the above stuff. Anyway, lets declare peace, J. Oh yeah, and also, before we get in to work, we are all photographed, and our pictures printed onto a badge that has to be worn where it can be read, which usually incorporates a chip so they know where in the plant we are!

·
Dig with BIG TOYS
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yup, I have 2 large packs in the medical/emergency box in the truck at all times. Between work and remote camping, it's a must. Never had to use it yet but it's there.
I read somewhere a while ago to make sure you position the pouch it comes in near the wound so all the professional medical people know it was used. Must have something to do with cleaning the wound.
Good post.
its officially the best insurance policy ive ever invested in... and i made sure i told the paramedics i used it as well.

·
Dig with BIG TOYS
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yeah I bet you would too:laughing:

Ok, to be honest, | only read the first line of your post, got [email protected] and fired back a post without reading the rest of what you wrote:shutup: So, genuinely, sorry. BUT, you also have to understand that over here, and in western europe in general, health and safety is the boss, and yep, if someone got cut like that, not only would you have to report it to the safety police, but you can be damn sure they would prosecute the site boss, and he would be hit with a massive fine, and find it nearly impossible to get insurance for site work again.
The sector I work in, before you get near a piece of work, every permit, insurance bond and detail of your tax affairs would have to be presented. Then, you would be inducted onto site(2-3 hours of a safety briefing), you would have to have: Full PPE for every man, to include Safety boots, Hard hat, hi-vis vest, mandatory gloves, mandatory safety glasses and probably respiratory protection. Then You would get to write a method statement for the task to be completed, however small, alongside a task by task risk-assesment, get a work permit, get a hot-work permit for any sparky type work(weld/cut), stage a fire watch for 30mins after any hot works, etc,etc. If any man operates any piece of equipment, even a hand held power tool, that tool has to have a current safety cert and tag attatched(costs big$), if any man leaves ground level by so much as a foot, he has to wear a safety harness with a current cert, if he even steps into a cherry picker, he has to have a licence to operate it, and wear a harness. All workers have to have a current manual handling certificate, as well as all workers carrying a 4 year renewable safe-pass card to say they have undertaken a full days general safety training course(mandatory). If one of my guys took off his safety glasses and was seen by a safety officer, he would be thrown off site(for a second offence). If any of my guys turns up with a high vis vest not bearing my company name, he cannot get onto site. Most of the places we work also require you to pass through an airport style metal detector on your way in and out, and we are usually accompanied by a security guard at all times, regardless of how long we have worked there- it is usually mandatory company policy. If one of my guys cut his finger, and it bleeds, I am required to fill out an accident report form, notify the site safety officer in writing, and then accompany the worker to the local hospital for a check-up, no way around it. I then have to present the hospitals discharge letter to the site safety officer. If you have kept from falling asleep so far, my point is this : these are all American companies with a manufacturing base here in Ireland- fortune 500 companies, and I can no longer get my head around a guy sticking a saw in his leg - I would just simply be out of business in an instance. When we use any kind of saw, we have to cordon off the whole area as well as all of the above stuff. Anyway, lets declare peace, J. Oh yeah, and also, before we get in to work, we are all photographed, and our pictures printed onto a badge that has to be worn where it can be read, which usually incorporates a chip so they know where in the plant we are!
well im sorry to say but here in new york... safety standards while strict are no where near that severe... my friend needed to fill out and accident report, but no fines... giant lawsuits and company runing reprecussions followed... it was a tragic occurance, and rest asured my friend dose provide safety equipment for all his men this was just a case of him chosing not to wear it. But to be honest with you the right saw can defeat even the best pair of chaps... talk to enough tree guys and they will all have a story of chaps that let them down... Its a 50/50 chance that they'll work... and mabby im just old school in that thinking but all i know is when ever i fire up a saw... i watch where i place my body parts...

·
Dig with BIG TOYS
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
You are absolutely correct its about safety.. but it changed to something else when you stated

Actually I do..

You work with a bunch of people that need laws to make you not cut your fingers off.

bet I would.

Then keep it about safety. Everyone here KNOWS saw pants are a good protection. I don't need laws to make me wear them.
ohh noo he didnt... :w00t:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi, I dont really give a jot for the state regs, I obey them because that is the game, but the real reason I try to make my guys follow regs is that I dont want to be the one to go to their wife and kids to explain that I killed their loved one to make a buck.
When we do dangerous work, I encourage them to take/wear every precaution, when we get finished early, I say go home and enjoy your time off- its about respect and it cuts both ways. My guys would probably take any risk asked of them for me, but I'd rather they lived long and prospered, and I sleep good at night.

·
Dig with BIG TOYS
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hi, I dont really give a jot for the state regs, I obey them because that is the game, but the real reason I try to make my guys follow regs is that I dont want to be the one to go to their wife and kids to explain that I killed their loved one to make a buck.
When we do dangerous work, I encourage them to take/wear every precaution, when we get finished early, I say go home and enjoy your time off- its about respect and it cuts both ways. My guys would probably take any risk asked of them for me, but I'd rather they lived long and prospered, and I sleep good at night.
look... i think the saying goes... you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink. All of MY guys are instructed on procedure before they even step on the job... i cant say the same for everyone else... human nature gives everyone free will to pick and choose what they want or do not want to do... and to be honest with ya... id take a bullet for each and everyone of my guys... there like and extension of my family... And i sleap pritty well myself knowing that in the same situation, they would do the same.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts