Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Dig with BIG TOYS
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well im convinced now that this stuff actually works... Saturday we we're working on site with my tree guy and one of the ground guys had a slip with the chainsaw... he was delimbing a tree and the saw jumped somehow and plunged itself into his thigh through the femoral artery. We rushed over to him and saw blood squiting out like a fire hose. I ran to my truck and grabed my medical box and applied quick clot to the wound... now im no doctor but there was no doubt in my mind he wouldve been dead if we didnt use this stuff. For those of you who are unfamiliar it is like a granulated powder... not gonna lie it looks kind of like crushed rock salt. When it mixes with blood it makes like a compression sponge that stops the bleading... when the ambulence arrived the guy told me that all it would have taken was 5 pumps of the heart for him to have bled out and if we hadent have kept him calm he'd be dead. So from now on all my trucks carry it and my tree guy said hed make sure his trucks hace as well... As of today he was in stable condition... he lost alot of blood but the docs said he should be ok. Thank god that it wasnt his time... because his wife just found out she was pregnant... couldve been a really bad way to end the week...

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
unfortunately that is the way you had to see if that stuff worked, too bad it wasn't just a superficial cut that it could have been applied on, i would have much rather been like yeah this stuff works, cut my hand open and poured it in, bleeding stopped....glad he is ok

·
Dig with BIG TOYS
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
unfortunately that is the way you had to see if that stuff worked, too bad it wasn't just a superficial cut that it could have been applied on, i would have much rather been like yeah this stuff works, cut my hand open and poured it in, bleeding stopped....glad he is ok
well to be honest with you i already knew that it worked. In my spare time i mate on a 62' viking, to fish tournaments... anyway one trip one of the owners stuck him self in the leg with the 8" flying galf. Now being 60 miles off shore i though that we were gonna need the coast for sure... but the captain comes down from the bridge... goes into the first aid box and applies quick clot to his leg... never the less it stopped the bleading and we were able to get him in safely... but man i keep thinking about it... i was just jokin arround with the guy 15 minutes before they started... im just happy it wasnt his time

·
Contractor
7,419 Posts
... but man i keep thinking about it... i was just jokin arround with the guy 15 minutes before they started... im just happy it wasnt his time

Thanks to your quick thinking and the fact that you actually had the product, it was not his time. :thumbsup:

I think I'll be ordering some of that stuff very soon.

·
Dig with BIG TOYS
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah guys this stuff is deffinitley the real deal... i bought a 25 pack box and now there in every first aid box and every truck i own. Our boys are using it right now in iraq... if im not mistaken its mandatory in every field surgens pack.

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
Great, great info! And obviously, glad to hear the guy you helped is doing OK too.

Looked at the site and should I assume the "home" pack is the one to get? I mean we've all had the annoying cut that you grab some TP & electrical tape and just deal with until you get a chance to dress it properly. But your story is the perfect example of needing to be really for the really bad one.

Thanks again (and maybe a sticky is called for here?)

·
Dig with BIG TOYS
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks guys... i went to see him today. Hese ok... about 40 stitches and 5 staples in his left thigh but hese doing allright... His boss gave him a month of paid leave with the promise of more if the docs see fit. The only thing that added insult to injury was having people arround, outside of both companies to see it. As typical with any construction/destruction work there was a small croud... about 6 people who saw this happen... i can only thank god there were no kids arround cause the scary part about it is that they almost nail what the results look like in the movies. I still cant shake this whole thing from my mind... anyway im glad that you guys were able to learn about something that could help save the lives of others.

·
Contractor
7,419 Posts
I still cant shake this whole thing from my mind...
Dig, you did good and followed through, (by informing us). What you saw,what you did, and how it affected you will not change. But if it is haunting you....let it go...

Who knows maybe one day you're bleeding and some guy dumps some QuickClot on you and says he read about it on some internet site...

·
Dig with BIG TOYS
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah thanks tom... im tryin to put it behind me. I got a swiming pool to dig in tomorrow and running the excavator tends to relax me at least a little bit. But im just glad hese gonna be ok...

·
Radical Basement Dweller
26,063 Posts
Yup, I have 2 large packs in the medical/emergency box in the truck at all times. Between work and remote camping, it's a must. Never had to use it yet but it's there.
I read somewhere a while ago to make sure you position the pouch it comes in near the wound so all the professional medical people know it was used. Must have something to do with cleaning the wound.
Good post.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi, Yep, quickclot is great stuff, but its complete [email protected] compared to a proper pair of chainsaw trousers with fiber-stop inlays. They would have stopped the chain dead in its tracks before it went anywhere near into his thigh. If that accident happened over here, there would have been a prosecution, without a doubt, and whoever was responcible for the job would never get a permit to work again.
You cannot operate a chainsaw in the course of work here without using the full correct PPE, (Helmet, visor, chain-proof boots, chainproof pants and gloves, ear defenders.It is illegal to hire a chainsaw out to anyone, and you have to complete a government safety course and be ticketed to work before using one. I have seen a guy get his face opened to the bone when cutting 2*4's with a chainsaw that bucked up, and reckon the rules now enforced are dead right. Sorry to be a downer, but that was a preventable injury and he got damn lucky to live. A pair of $50 pants would have saved a lot of grief. J.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts