Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Pro
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quarantine is being used to outfit a different trailer. I picked up a second hand 24' vehicle hauler with ramp. I went back and forth on ramp over barn doors, but this came up for a good price so bit being my other trailer is down as well. It's also....huge for residential...which may prove annoying at times. We range from 4-7 guys on site depending on project.

I am sectioning off the front 8'x8' to be an office/break room with eating room, benchtop for reading prints, refrigerator, microwave, coffee pot, water station, eating benches with stackable stools. We'll likely heat it as well for winter work and charging our Milwaukee platform batteries.

I am also building roof racks for my 24' picks and extension ladders.

The front tounge area will have a generator safe house with auxiliary gas tank to feed them.

I structured this with weight and tool access in mind. All daily access tools are in the rear, including gas compressor with 10' wip connecting to a 100' lead line out to project building.

The rear area will hold a large self dumping hopper when we move to new site...hence the odd looking rear layout.

I went with a bunch of filing cabinets for cheap, and quick for now storage. Those pull out drawers underneath them are 7'8" or so holding longer tools. The pneumatic tool bays are all slanted in order to increase bay length and keep tools from falling out.

The left area over the wheel wells will be shelving to hold fasteners, ladder and hoses/ extension cords bays.

I have a passthrough locking door to tie front office. I debated putting that in for security reasons, but think I'd regret not having quick access in the future.

Still a lot to do, but what I've got done for now. I still need to patch the side aluminum, but did replace the service door lock and handle that was destroyed by a break in right before purchase.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,224 Posts
Quarantine is being used to outfit a different trailer. I picked up a second hand 24' vehicle hauler with ramp. I went back and forth on ramp over barn doors, but this came up for a good price so bit being my other trailer is down as well. It's also....huge for residential...which may prove annoying at times. We range from 4-7 guys on site depending on project.

I am sectioning off the front 8'x8' to be an office/break room with eating room, benchtop for reading prints, refrigerator, microwave, coffee pot, water station, eating benches with stackable stools. We'll likely heat it as well for winter work and charging our Milwaukee platform batteries.

I am also building roof racks for my 24' picks and extension ladders.

The front tounge area will have a generator safe house with auxiliary gas tank to feed them.

I structured this with weight and tool access in mind. All daily access tools are in the rear, including gas compressor with 10' wip connecting to a 100' lead line out to project building.

The rear area will hold a large self dumping hopper when we move to new site...hence the odd looking rear layout.

I went with a bunch of filing cabinets for cheap, and quick for now storage. Those pull out drawers underneath them are 7'8" or so holding longer tools. The pneumatic tool bays are all slanted in order to increase bay length and keep tools from falling out.

The left area over the wheel wells will be shelving to hold fasteners, ladder and hoses/ extension cords bays.

I have a passthrough locking door to tie front office. I debated putting that in for security reasons, but think I'd regret not having quick access in the future.

Still a lot to do, but what I've got done for now. I still need to patch the side aluminum, but did replace the service door lock and handle that was destroyed by a break in right before purchase.

Looking pretty good. Days I wish mine was a 24 instead of a 20. A RV furnace really works nice in them . What I have with a RV converter and 12v battery.

·
Registered
Custom
12,618 Posts
Looks like a great project...

Just out of curiosity, what was the reasoning for not putting the pullouts on the entry to the trailer so you don't have to give up floor real estate to use it as well as make it more easily accessible versus potentially having to move items to use it?

·
Pro
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like a great project...

Just out of curiosity, what was the reasoning for not putting the pullouts on the entry to the trailer so you don't have to give up floor real estate to use it as well as make it more easily accessible versus potentially having to move items to use it?
I wanted the weight of those filing cabinets and bench better situated over the wheel well; the drawers are the dead space created after those filing cabinets were lifted off the floor and situated on the wheel well.

The dump hopper needs to have room near the back end of the trailer being it is lifted into place with the telehandler. It will just barely fit in my truck bed, but I don't have a machine at home to pull it out so it needs to live in the trailer for now.

I also can access them without having ramp open (less important) during nasty weather.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
We have discussed changing trailers, for a while. Yesterday, we made the decision and it's going to happen. But, for us, we are moving from a 8x18 to a 7'6" x 14.

We already have both. Have used the 18' for several years. It's just never worked out. Too big for my jobs. Yesterday, I had to back down a long street, with a tough turn into a driveway, because I couldn't fit it on the street. I've had enough.

The 14' has a ramp. I didn't really want that, but my son pointed out the ramp would be easier on my knees. He's right.

We'll see how it goes. I'm about to hitch up and take it to the shop, to start unloading. I built all of my shelves in modular pieces. Should be able to unbolt them and slide them out. Of course I'm afraid, once I start unloading, there will be more in there, than I realized.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
This is so overwhelming. I don't want to take over a thread. Glad it's going good for you. Please give us an update.

After unloading the 18' trailer, the amount of tools and crap is ridiculous and overwhelming. I thought the shelves were modular, which they are, but they were packed and barely came out of the door.
FYI. When making modular shelves and having a 6' door, make them a few inches shorter. BECAUSE, when you want to move them out, but don't want to unload them, they are very heavy.

So, on to brighter days. I hope your build goes better.

·
Pro
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well, it's been awhile. I've been scrambling to get the major of the most pressing builds done before we fire back up all cylinders on jobs Thursday!

The trailer is messy ATM, but here are a few pictures.

I built fastener storage, installed the 2' door between office and tool area (needed to cut down and rip jamb). Then I also installed some countertop up front in the break room. I still have more to do up there.

I also built a cord and hose corral today. I can add more hooks as well. I took 1/2" threaded rod and used 1/2" cold shut shackles as hooks. I cut the upper bend off the shackles which provided enough room between the hook and rod to insert hose. The shackles can slide back and forth on the rod. Note, I didn't bother flushing up the upper plywood on the coral, to the sloped ceiling. I dislike that gap but going to just deal with it. There really isn't any support at the ceiling that I feel comfortable hanging from either.

I also made up a framing square holder and rafter square holder. The framing square holder has two on it. I just slide the squares up off the lower rest, pull slightly away from cabinet side wall, and then drop down out of the upper bracket. Next I'll put a square nut holder near them for quick access.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Maybe a see-thru meat locker curtain for the rear door/ramp?

Reactions: META

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
I hated putting my hose and cords on just hooks at the rear of the trailer, get to the job they where always on the floor from trailer bounce. Had the wife make some loops out of ratchet straps and use carabiners and D rings , now they are never on the floor.

·
Pro
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hated putting my hose and cords on just hooks at the rear of the trailer, get to the job they where always on the floor from trailer bounce. Had the wife make some loops out of ratchet straps and use carabiners and D rings , now they are never on the floor.
We'll see how they ride. I have hooks on my other trailer and haven't had an issue.

The hooks on this set up can move as well, which may help reduce some of the upward bounce created on bumps...hopefully...

I'll let you know soon; haven't moved it for at least a month. That includes all my other shelving, etc..

·
Registered
Custom
12,618 Posts
We'll see how they ride. I have hooks on my other trailer and haven't had an issue.

The hooks on this set up can move as well, which may help reduce some of the upward bounce created on bumps...hopefully...

I'll let you know soon; haven't moved it for at least a month. That includes all my other shelving, etc..

Large carabiners... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,224 Posts

This how do mine, works good for me.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6790 using Tapatalk

·
Pro
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. Large carabiners would work, but can be tedious if trying to hook multiple one one. Maybe I'll pick up a few good sized ones and see how the guys like them.

·
Pro
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well, took her for a maiden run to the jobsite yesterday. Not too bumpy. She did start fish tailing some when I made a hard lane change on the expressway.

Everything faired well, for now.

That 18 bolt multigang Milwaukee charger, I pulled all the batteries prior to trip being they do not snap into place and could have worked themselves off the charger.

Installed another receptacle up front under the tabletop for the refrigerator. Coffee pot and microwave working. Still need to pick up a fridge, the models I looked at were sold out.

Monday most of the crew will be back and we'll go over tool and material placement, as well as COVID protocols.

·
Pro
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The chargers.

I built a shovel and other long handled tool corral, along the wall in front of the chargers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts