Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Life-Long-Learner
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you in advance for taking the time to help me out on this one.

I have a client that wants their existing shower puled out and replaced with a larger more updated one. My question is what do you guys look at when choosing a new shower for an already existing shower area? How do you measure up for the drain is in the same place, the controls are in relativly the same place and all that. What is the "wordage" when it comes to measurments pertaining to these areas?

Do manufactuers carry on with a standard drain setting?

Thanks for your help.
Best wishes,
MC

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Are you ready for this job?

MC-You may not have the skills for this job.

Here is a shower forum that will give you an idea what you should know.:thumbsup:
Shower Construction Info (a collection of posts) - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

First off;the drain P-trap frequently must be replaced or moved.

Second;the shower mixer valve is as old as the shower stall-It should be replaced also.

If you are installing a fiberglass shower surround,Are you prepared to buy a replacement -with your own money-if you blow the cut out for the mixer hole?:mad:

A tiled surround seriously requires some professional training to be good enough to sell.

I suggest small steps in the beginning. GOOD LUCK--MIKE--

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I have a client that wants their existing shower puled out and replaced with a larger more updated one. My question is what do you guys look at when choosing a new shower for an already existing shower area? How do you measure up for the drain is in the same place, the controls are in relativly the same place and all that. What is the "wordage" when it comes to measurments pertaining to these areas?

MC
What does your GL insurance policy say about you doing this work? I have a sneaky suspicion it says something like -

If you do this and F it up and cause water damage/ mold to the customer's house we will not cover it because you are not covered for this type of work by this policy.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
I just noticed that the "C" key is only one key over from the "Z" key......Hmmmmmm....:whistling
:laughing:

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Thank you in advance for taking the time to help me out on this one.

Do manufactuers carry on with a standard drain setting?

Thanks for your help.
Best wishes,
MC
Let me try to explain the answers you have heard so far.

1 you client wants a larger shower. The first thing you need to know is the "standard" base sizes from say "Fiat" as they are a good base In order to know this you need to have some relationship with a supplier.
The second thing you need to know is what is the size that your client has in mind. Now lets just say that he wants the largest shower he can fit in his space and for this answer it is 38"x 56" that is not a "standard" size anywhere, so you will have to Float a base....... no problem you don't even have to move the drain that way:clap:......but you need to know how to preslope, pan, and drypack a shower base:blink:. (I am using industry jargon or "wordage") the valve set is simple call your plumber buddy and add 15% to his bid. Dens the walls and dont mind those who have drunk the ORANGE Kool-Aid:no:, maybe a ceiling, upsell a fan/light combo:thumbup: and you are golden.
Now it is time for tile. push for 12" x 12" as there are fewer pieces to set :thumbsup: set your level boards and lay it down. (remember the more additives in the thinset the harder it is to clean your trowells)

If you have upsold the ceiling set it on the diagonal so you don't have to spend too much time on the layout of the walls:whistling and you may want to set that first.

have your clients pick the grout and dont get ahead of your self and let it cook off......

hope this helps Craig

·
Life-Long-Learner
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mikeswood and Charimon, Thank you both for your helpfull replies. I have a friend who is a retired plumber in the area, I think I better give him a call and get schooled. I have put two showers in before but they were for close friends and they did not seem this daunting.
The advice on the mixing valve replacment has already been taken into consideration. I have been looking at the fiberglass showers and that to has been on my mind.

Jarvis- I have done and witnessed many remodels and installs, there has to be a point where this little boy becomes a man and gets his feet wet. The best experiance is hands on and thats a fact. Although it may be hit or miss. Risks are involved in everything we do. I am willing to take the risk, even though I am very optimistic that the work I will do will be that of quality and reliability. You have a valid point and I respect it. It is time for me to take the bull by the horn.

I am always looking for mentors in everything I do. If any of you would be willing to share your personal E-mail/number with me I would very much be glad to be your protege.

This is good stuff!~ keep it coming. :thumbup:

·
Life-Long-Learner
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jarvis- I took a look at your website, very nice! Nice Portfolio as well. Where do you get your Schluter Kerdi shower systems? What are the prominant benefits of this system compared to the traditional shower systems as outlined on you tilled shower section?

Thanks!
-MC

·
Carpe Diem
20,742 Posts
Jarvis- I took a look at your website, very nice! Nice Portfolio as well. Where do you get your Schluter Kerdi shower systems? What are the prominant benefits of this system compared to the traditional shower systems as outlined on you tilled shower section?

Thanks!
-MC

Where are you located?

·
Banned
3,020 Posts
Bathroom Reno Advice

There are more things that could go wrong with a bathroom renovation than you can imagine. That said 20 years ago I told my friends Mom that a bathroom renovation was no big deal and I could do it for her. What a nightmare - I was walked from the job and right fully so.

Water flows down hill, water lines and drain lines need to be tested before covering, bouncy floors are bad and there are more than 5 ways to water proof your shower.

Taking out an old shower is just the start. Did the first guy mess up the framing? Is there a floor joist where the new drain has to go? Do you have a 1 1/2" drain line or 2". Why not sell a shampoo niche and custom shower floor.

Offer to do the stuff you know. Demo, trim, drywall etc and sub out the rest. Offer to over see and help the subs - project management. Watch and learn. When you are ready you won't need to ask questions you will answer them.

I made it a point for years to track down the top guys, hire them and learn their skills. Ask where they buy their tools, stir their mud. Watch and learn.

The John Bridge site is a good one for tile. Post your pictures and move slowly - some one will catch you if you are going a stray.

Good Luck

·
Fisherman
71 Posts
How much bigger do they want to go? How much money are you working with? How much damage do you think is hidden under the old shower? How big is the drain? Do they want multiple shower heads? Thermostatic valves and volume controls? Do you have enough pressure/volume to run the system? Can you read and understand German {or just German pictures?} sorry inside humor. Do they want lights in the shower, what about ventilation? Thats just in the shower....off the top of my head.

Here is a shower pic for you. Yes, 2 shower drains to handle all of the water. Solatube in the ceiling for light, remote inline vent fan for ventilation. I can read German pictures.

Good Luck and dont get in over your head.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 49 Posts