Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a window air conditioner I put in my den window in the summer time. It is the old cold freon meaning not that new crap. My question. It doesn't blow as cold as it use to so could I just throw it in the back of my grand cherokee take it up to a hvac man and say can you recharge it up for me. Or can you not recharge a window air conditioner or do you guys not mess with the old freon anymore?????????????????????? :Thumbs: Its 10,000 btu

MEANING IT STILL BLOWS COLD BUT NOT ICE COLD LIKE IT USE TO..

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
You can charge these "window shaker" units, regardless of what type of refrigerant is in it. The trouble is, there's no service valves on this type of equipment. What's left of the charge needs recovered by piercing pliers or a process tube adaptor, service valves brazed on, and then recharged. Your problem is probably not due to a low charge. It's more likely a dirty condensing coil and/or evaporator coil. Taking the unit outdoors and giving the coils a good hose down, possibly also using coil cleaner, might fix you right up. It's the first step in the "repair" of window units. For a 10,000 btu, the cost associated with installing service valves and charging the refrigerant is often not worth it for these tiny units. Clean the heck out of the coils and see what that does for you. If no help, you might want to evaluate how old the units is and how it looks overall when making the decision to repair or replace it.

"cold freon"? Regardless of what type of refrigerant is used, the evaporator coil temperature is exactly the same for these window units.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Mdshunk

THANKS I NEW YOU WOULD COME THROUGH FOR ME :Thumbs: I DID SEE THAT BIG APPLIANCE CENTER WAS ADVERTISING IN THEIR FLYER 10,000 BTU FOR 230 DOLLARS THAT MODEL EVEN HAD A REMOTE CONTROL. :Thumbs:

I WILL TAKE IT APART AND CLEAN IT SEE WHAT HAPPENS. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts