Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Around here (Philly) it appears that two things are fading fast: plasters and people who made flared joints. I don't know how to do either, but I understand flared joints make an incredible joint when done properly.

I'm not sure why either is becoming rare.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Around here (Philly) it appears that two things are fading fast: plasters and people who made flared joints. I don't know how to do either, but I understand flared joints make an incredible joint when done properly.

I'm not sure why either is becoming rare.
Because both are harder and more time consuming then the alternative. People want easy and cheap now, unfortunately.

I was just in Philly for a wedding, a lot of beautiful masonry and history.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Flared joints are still around. They are used on gas and oil lines all the time. They are fairly simple to do if you have the right flaring tool. The flare tools that set the depth make the most consistent flares.
Plasters on the other hand are few and far between. They can only make it in older more affluent neighborhoods where people are willing to pay for more than sheetrock.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My brother recently had a fancy platter ceiling installed. Nit sure of the cost, but it looks nice

1 - 4 of 4 Posts