Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Remodeler
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was wondering : do you guys use a 14'' knife to finish? I only used up to a 12. But then I was told a 14 helps better. Also, do you always mix pre mixed water and add water or soap? Thank you. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
818 Posts
Yikes, never seen that problem with L/W

·
Registered
488 Posts
I see it every time I use it. I don't use knifes anymore I switched to hawk and trowel. I use a 12, 14, and 16". Around here a 14" knife is hard to find and you also have to find a bigger bread pan too.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
I see it every time I use it. I don't use knifes anymore I switched to hawk and trowel. I use a 12, 14, and 16". Around here a 14" knife is hard to find and you also have to find a bigger bread pan too.
We don't use the LW stuff any longer either. Way too inconsistent.

I bought a hawk and trowel a year or so ago and haven't broken it out yet. Not ready for the change. I have some DW work to do at home, I'll probably experiment with it then. Looks like once you get the hang of it, the results are a lot better.

·
Registered
488 Posts
When I decided to try a trowel a bought a curved 12" one tried it and hated it. put it in toolbox for a couple years and as far as I know it's still there. Then someone told me to get a flat trowel and I have never looked back. Admittedly the hawk takes some getting used to.
Some of the advantages I have found are I can pull the joint a lot tighter and have a lot less sanding. One of the first jobs I did with one was a wallpaper removal then had to skim the walls. Man can you cover some ground fast with the ultra lite mud and a 16" trowel and the less sanding was great. And on patches they are great for feathering out the edges.
There are some great vids on you tube for hawk and trowel.
Please post after you try it I would like to know how it worked for you.

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
:thumbup: I've never seen 2buck on video.

Kinda funny how you get a image of someone on these forums.

I gotta say, that one shot of soft white underbelly was disturbing tho. :laughing:
All his vids are very informative .

·
Registered
488 Posts
To be honest 2Buck is the one that helped me with the H/T when I started using one. Launeir Desormeaux, hope the spelling is right, also has some great videos.

·
GC/carpenter
43,943 Posts
I use a 14 sometimes when I'm skip troweling. I use a 12 on butts and usually pull both sides. And come up the middle with a piss coat on second. But not always. I get a read on the joint first.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I figure if plasters could get a perfect finish with a hawk and trowel, that's probably the way to go. I have a 14" straight trowel and hawk, but only tried to use it a few times for plaster repairs

·
Registered
488 Posts
When I tried the curved trowel I was used to using knifes and pan. I had a hard time getting the mud applied the way I wanted it. and when I would pull it it left a hump in the middle. I will admit the problems were probably caused by me. But when I went to the flat it just seemed to do a better job and pull the edges a lot tighter.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Curved trowels are supposed to leave a hump, which is why I don't like them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts