Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a proper method for installing 12"x12" granite tiles on a steam shower ceiling? I have heard varying reports on whether or not this is recommended, as the tiles are heavy. If it is possible, what product whould be used? I need to know as soon as possible. Thanks.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
I wish I knew the answer, but I do know it will all be in the glue used.

I would cringe everytime I went in the shower. Is it woth it?

let us know if you do it.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I have never done this either but have given it some thought and I would do this:
Assuming that you have a sheetrock ceiling, remove the ceiling and replace it with 1/2" plywood and tack it up with 2" screws into the joists or trusses. Why? Sheetrock and the attached paper has very little tensile strength and if any water gets to it nearly none. I would go over this with a layer of Durarock liberally basted with construction adhesive and secured with lots of 2" screws (spaced 6-8" apart) being certain to hit the aforementioned trusses. To secure the tile to the Durarock I would use an epoxy with a medium set time, 20-30 mins., add a thixogen, Cabosil, talc, Qcells or bubbles. Use lots and let it seep through the cracks to bond the tiles together and eliminate moisture penetration. You are going to have to devise some sort of jacks to hold the tiles in place until the epoxy cures. 2X4's cut just shy of the finished ceiling and shims make good jacks. The cheapest way to clean up epoxy is vinegar, buy gallons. Read up on using epoxies as you can become sensitized. This is not a one man job.

D

·
0 Posts
Remove any drywall on the ceiling and replace with 1/2" Hardy tile backer. Use tileboard screws - no need for anything else. Use a QUICKSET mortar. Buy some 1/2" MDF and 1X 2. As you set the tiles, place MDF over their faces and support with the 1 X 2 ( and shims if necessary).

There is no need to put plywood under the tile board. After all, what will it do for you? Hardy board is not very flexible.

I don't know how many tiles you can put under a piece of MDF, but you can probably make the task easier if you cut the tiles down to 6 X 6. After all, no one looks that closely at a ceiling.

Regards,

Dallas
Dalco Construction Services

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
My assessment was based on the strength of materials, expansion and contraction due to temperature and moisture, and the possibility of roofing trusses being placed on 24" centers. I was unable to think of any 1/2" material that would not eventually sag under these conditions nor an adhesive that would not eventually fail.
Teetorbilt BSE, ME, PHD. Residential Contractor soon to be GC.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Steve said:
Is there a proper method for installing 12"x12" granite tiles on a steam shower ceiling? I have heard varying reports on whether or not this is recommended, as the tiles are heavy. If it is possible, what product whould be used? I need to know as soon as possible. Thanks.
Steve,
Go to www.tileyourworld.com and ask the question there.

J

·
0 Posts
Durorock

I am writing from the bahamas.Where can I find the most reasonable durorock in miami florida or fort lauderdale florida

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
To the Most Honourable Mr. Bain, may it please you that I am from the former Commonwealth of the Bahamas.
My brother in law maintains extensive commerce with many of the islands and he may well be able to help you.
Please contact me by my e-mail.
I am most curious of your whereabouts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Darn skippy, Mr. Teetorbilt has the right idea. Mastic is a great tile adhesive and it sure hangs on. One wouldn't have to worry about one's wife sleeping in the shower. But the wonderboard/cement board is the best idea. I've never done 12"ers on the ceiling but 8"x8" don't budge...even if you would like them to. Remember a tile layed is a tile played. Am I too late to help?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts