Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an issue on a job my company is about to complete, and hopefully this is the right forum for it...

In your experience - if you are not given any additional direction by the Owner/Architect/et al - what would you consider "industry standard" as far as keying requirements when turning the project over to an Owner?

The issue is in regards to special keying requirements the owner has asked for (end-user cores, grand master keying, master keying for each building, storefront doors & back doors keyed the same, multiple copies of keys, etc.), which were not specified going into the project.

I was under the impression that something like that would be done by the Owner after construction has been completed and the building turned over.

Just curious as to what other professionals in the industry think...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I can only speak to residential, but I would not build a house where all the exterior doors were not keyed alike. Owner gets all keys that result, no extras. Anything less, to me, is substandard.

If it costs me a few bucks, well........... Of course your situation is much more involved.

I was under the impression that something like that would be done by the Owner after construction has been completed and the building turned over.
Sounds like your customer is under the impression that it was included. I would not expect a customer to run out and change locks/keying on a brand new building, especially one of this scope.

Hey, it's an oversight (in terms of Contract Specifications) which is sort of your fault. But, it sounds like you're not under contract to do it either. So I would say it's your call. Depending on the total cost, I chalk this type of thing up to experience and call it advertising; what do you want your customer's final impression to be, and what is that worth to you? (Don't forget about word-of-mouth.)

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
8 dollars a lock for rekeying plus a service call for the locksmith to key to a master/grand master system isn't that big of a deal if you have 4 or 5 locks. If you have 400 or 500 locks, that's a pretty big deal. Sounds like a change order.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If it's 100 times as many locksets, then it's approximately 100 times the overall project, cost, and profit with which to cover "advertising."

In other words, relatively speaking, they are virtually the same case; it's only a matter of scale.

If you want to require a change order for an $8 adder, go for it...

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Depends on what type of building we're talking about. Since you mentioned "storefront doors and back doors", I'm assuming it's a retail complex. If that's the case, I'd expect each store to be keyed alike front and back, and all of the stores to be mastered to one key for the landlord. Beyond that, I can't imagine there being a need for grand masters, etc. If we're talking about an office building, a hospital, or some other building type, the requirements would be different, but as the owner, I'd expect a reasonable level of masters typical for that building type- whether I specified it or not.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Any time I work At u of m I have to go sign out keys it takes about a half a day to go to the office wich is of campus to get the keys and every key if lost is 500 dollars if not returned. because theyll send there locksmith to recore all the doors. When i install all my hardware I dont install any core they do that after you turn over the building I just install the rim cylinders. Ill put the strike covers on mortise body but wont tighten down the set screw for the rim cylinder. Schools hospitals all have ther own inhouse locksmith. I allso cary a key and core to find a small room used for a lockup its allot easier than transporting a gang box

1 - 6 of 6 Posts