Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
FL

Who can legally subcontract work? Being an HVAC contractor, I would think I could only sub out work under my scope of business. For example, if I was relocating a condensing unit, I could have an electrician contract under me to do the electrical work. I, however, can't just start doing kitchen remodels. I would need a GC license. Is this correct?

My second question pertains to apartments and management companies. How are they able to do construction activity without a license for their tenants? I see handymen doing electrical, plumbing, etc. with no license. If they are employed by the management company or apartment complex, it would seem they may have some leeway. I would think the handyman would be performing illegal activity if they were performing these activities as a separate entity.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Not sure about your first question....

Myself, I do some work for a management company. Sometimes I may be some plumbing and sometimes some electrical. If I do it's always something so minor that I don't think it requires a permit most of the time. Things like repairing toilets, replacing faucets, fixing leaks under the sink, replacing light switches, replacing light fixtures don't need a permit in my neck of the woods.

But I am a carpenter so the plumbing/electrical things I do are going to be minor or a pro would be in there instead. They probably wouldn't get a permit for most stuff either....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From all of my research, I don't even think I could change a light switch where I live without an electrical license. Very few things in my field even require a permit, so I don't think that would be the standard of what work can be performed. If it were, anyone could start an AC company and just do service (no changeouts).

·
Remodeler
855 Posts
Just to give you an idea.....

And to the second part , I think building owners and maintenance companies are partially exempt from some things including HVAC licenses as long as the "techs" have EPA 608 certs. Not completely exempt , but somewhat as far as licensure goes. Permits should still apply where necessary.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.