Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you guys seen this type of material? It is some kind of fibered panel there is no decking underneath. Looking at any options as far as reroofing layover steel panel. maybee some sort of spray on material?

http://minnesotaroofing.com/DSCF0229.JPG

http://minnesotaroofing.com/DSCF0227.JPG

This job is roughly 150 square 2 flat sides of a pole barn. The problem is it is 2 hours from me and i would like to have an idea what it is and what type of roof system i should propose. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
178 Posts
minnesotaroofin said:
Have any of you guys seen this type of material? It is some kind of fibered panel there is no decking underneath. Looking at any options as far as reroofing layover steel panel. maybee some sort of spray on material?

http://minnesotaroofing.com/DSCF0229.JPG

http://minnesotaroofing.com/DSCF0227.JPG

This job is roughly 150 square 2 flat sides of a pole barn. The problem is it is 2 hours from me and i would like to have an idea what it is and what type of roof system i should propose. Any help would be appreciated.
Looks like a product called Onduline. I've seen some installations in our area (Montreal, Canada) but none seem to last more than 5 years. On another roofing site, several contractors have said that they have put it on but were not impressed. It's big selling point seems to be low price and quick installation. Don't know anyone who has had positive comments to make on it. The good news is that it should be easy to remove.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The owner says it has been on 30+ years the paint came off in first five or the white stuff. company is out of business. what about installing a new roof on top like steel or power washing then spray on coatings? any ideas would be helpfull i am sure this is the onduline i talked to owner and he remembers the name. Either that or tear off re-deck and shingle? i have not seen the structure so i am unsure if the last option is even feasable. because of truss configuration.

·
Registered
178 Posts
minnesotaroofin said:
The owner says it has been on 30+ years the paint came off in first five or the white stuff. company is out of business. what about installing a new roof on top like steel or power washing then spray on coatings? any ideas would be helpfull i am sure this is the onduline i talked to owner and he remembers the name. Either that or tear off re-deck and shingle? i have not seen the structure so i am unsure if the last option is even feasable. because of truss configuration.
If it lasted 30+ years, and if it is onduline, then this must be a new record. The base material is similar to asphalt shingle mat, with fiberglass reinforcement (I think). The waterproofing is some form of asphalt, and then the top is painted with an oil-based paint. After 30 years or so, the asphalt should be pretty dried out (and the pictures you attached seem to show this), so some water entry into the material is probably occuring. I don't think that the product is strong enough to support such weight, and spraying on a coating will probably be a very temporary measure. I would suggest that you price in stripping the whole thing, resheathing, and installing the new shingles onto the new deck.

The company is NOT out of business - if you google "onduline" you will get a whole long list of Onduline web sites in many countries. One such link is http://www.ondulinebuildingproducts.net/p0007.htm.

However, I am not a fan of this product based on what I have seen in our area. Maybe I'm prejudiced, but I form my opinions based on what I see in the field.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
That product also looks like "Ondura", which is made in Virginia. Same stuff as Onduline. Looks beautiful in their gallery pictures. I suppose, like all roofing material, it just outlived its useful life.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do not think this guy will spend the money to redeck - i will have to bid a tear off and maybee some sort of corrugated panel or even a standing seam system that does not require solid decking. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
378 Posts
check the manufactures specs some 5 v can be installed over battens. do you know the batten spacing you have.one i saw said 24 inchs or less.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Paul, do you really need this job? It sounds to me like you are trying awfully hard to get this job and getting pounded in the process. IMHO it's time to walk.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Teetor,
I think you may be referring to another job i bid. I reposted under new thread. Original thread was pretty long it may have been misleading. This is a new lead from Monday this week. The job is 2 1/2 hours from our location and i really would'nt be considering it if i did not need the work. It is pretty slow around here i am only booked for 3 weeks at the most. (1 - 5 man crew and 1 - 3 man crew). I will not even go out this far unless i can really qualify this guy over the phone. I already know he does not want to spend a lot of cash. I am just looking for a fairly inexpensive solution for him. He has 2 bids coming in this week and he said he will wait till early next week to make a decision. My plan is to shoot him a ballpark over the phone and see how i compare. If he is still interested i will meet with him.

I am probably leaning toward a corrugated panel at this point. i Looked into the 5v crimp they kept mentioning it had to be laid on solid sheathing.
(Quoted from web site)
The material to which the metal panel is fastened should be properly spaced and sufficiently thick to provide a roof or wall system able to meet required design loads. Load tables are available for all FABRAL panels. FABRAL recommends spacing the purlins a maximum of 24" on-center for roofing (note that 5V requires solid decking).End Quote
I do appreciate the help (onduline) Would have taken me a while to research that one.
See "commercial Bid Denied" To see how the other bid turned out

·
Registered
378 Posts
Think what you need is called an ag panel.I checked on the 5 v ,seems you can install over battens but the battens are to be installed over solid decking. This being a barn i don't see why this would be necessary,ag panels have almost same profile and installation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts