Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not a framer but have a question..is most of the north east 16 on center or 12 on center when it comes to framing walls on new homes?

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
Got my first framing job about 50 years ago. It was toe-nailing all the studs off in houses the carpenters just tacked in place. They worked in the day; I came in after school.

In all that time I have only done one building on 12" centers. It was a shed on a loading dock.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
!6" centers on 99% of the homes I have built. In some rare cases we have done specific walls on 12" due to loading, but it is rare.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
16" max?

Would 16" centres be the maximum? Could I frame at 24" if the wall wasn't holding much load? Example: I have to frame on the outside walls of a basement that I'm finishing. The top four feet of the walls are framed and are flush with the (poured) concrete foundation walls on the bottom half. I'll need to frame the walls anyways to hold the drywall and such, but since they'll just be hanging walls, do I still have to have 16" centres? Also, should I insulate the outside walls?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Would 16" centres be the maximum? Could I frame at 24" if the wall wasn't holding much load? Example: I have to frame on the outside walls of a basement that I'm finishing. The top four feet of the walls are framed and are flush with the (poured) concrete foundation walls on the bottom half. I'll need to frame the walls anyways to hold the drywall and such, but since they'll just be hanging walls, do I still have to have 16" centres? Also, should I insulate the outside walls?

:eek: General contractor huh?

·
Registered
186 Posts
:eek: General contractor huh?
LOL :w00t:

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
I would recommend using 96" o.c. You only need to secure the drywall on each end. Just make sure you specify structural drywall.

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Insulate with Great Stuff gap and crack filler. Then you won't have to deal with all that itchy fiberglass insulation.
Insulation...what for?

Just install the lower course of drywall, then have your wife and kids fill all the voids up with their daily trash - free insulation! Talk about green remodeling!

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Insulation...what for?

Just install the lower course of drywall, then have your wife and kids fill all the voids up with their daily trash - free insulation! Talk about green remodeling!
It also provides heat as it decomposes!:laughing:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Insulation...what for?

I would use Mc Donald's french fries. They're cheap, never rot, and then the whole room would smeel really good all the time.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have often done 24" on center with 2x6's on exterior walls. We then used 5/8" drywall. This makes for a better insulated wall, as 2x4's are only about r3.5, and when you have a lot of them, it cuts down on your efficiency.

I don't know if code would let you get away with that anymore.

·
Palisade Point Const.
2,276 Posts
I would recommend using 96" o.c. You only need to secure the drywall on each end. Just make sure you specify structural drywall.
you can get 12' sheets you know, that will allow for a 1/3 reduction in framing materials.

Or better yet, just balence the sheetrock on it's edge- no framing materials needed at all!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you Cooke Carpentry

Is there a reason nobody else could offer information? I'm new at this, and just learning as I go. In all seriousness, is there an unwritten code of conduct between contractors in the US, that prohibits sharing of useful information between contractors? Like I've said, I'm new at this, but so far the contractors that I've come across here have only been so willing to help with the sharing of tools and information and such. I thought this forum could have been a useful tool for everybody involved. However, (with my first post) it seems to have proven just to be a source of entertainment for those who hold themselves in a higher regard than perhaps what is fair? Either way, thank you to those who took the time to offer helpful insight; to the others: I was going to apologize for the wasting of your time, until I realized it was by your choice (perhaps a lack of something else better to do), that you chose to laugh instead.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
Is there a reason nobody else could offer information? I'm new at this, and just learning as I go. In all seriousness, is there an unwritten code of conduct between contractors in the US, that prohibits sharing of useful information between contractors? Like I've said, I'm new at this, but so far the contractors that I've come across here have only been so willing to help with the sharing of tools and information and such. I thought this forum could have been a useful tool for everybody involved. However, (with my first post) it seems to have proven just to be a source of entertainment for those who hold themselves in a higher regard than perhaps what is fair? Either way, thank you to those who took the time to offer helpful insight; to the others: I was going to apologize for the wasting of your time, until I realized it was by your choice (perhaps a lack of something else better to do), that you chose to laugh instead.
As a General Contractor you should know the answer to the question you asked.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts