Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Pro,
That would depend on what side of the fence your on. and the quality of work your capable of. I don't think it is important to be able to afford to hire yorself.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes I believe you should.
It is a direct reflection of your rates, your quality of work, and how you run your business.
I am hiring myself to build a garage on my house next month.
(ok I have allotted 2 weeks labor charges for myself and my guys so I can get the bulk of the work done without sacrificing all my spare time to build the garage myself)

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MinConst said:
Pro,
That would depend on what side of the fence your on. and the quality of work your capable of. I don't think it is important to be able to afford to hire yorself.
I think it is important. Shouldn't you be paying yourself enough to be able to afford the quality of service you give to others?
I think Shawn nailed it:
Yes I believe you should.
It is a direct reflection of your rates, your quality of work, and how you run your business.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I disagree. Although it sounds nice in practice, people can do very high quality of work, but choose to live froogle.

I could afford myself only as long as I had other work. My quality is extremely good, but I have a lot of debt from college, morgage, and credit-debt.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
I cannot afford myself. Mostly because I do not make nearly as much as my customers.
I make really good money, but I would have to pay my installers direct instead of going thru the company.

That does not mean I tell my clients to do the same thing.
You must have confidence in your quality and pricing. It doesn't mean you have to have a ton of money.
I constanty quote an amount for a total job that is way over my annual take home. But I say it with complete confidence, and as if it is no big deal.
When I really am thinking "Holy cow that's alot of money!"
my product and services are worth it.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
To replace myself with another could be done at a sacrifice to my income.
In my case, this has been discussed at length as I plan to 'retire' within 10 yrs. and we have begun to set up the scenario. It really gets to be rather complex when you begin considering all of the options.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts