Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey every one, thanks to all of you for posting the last couple of years. I know I have read about this before, but thought I'd ask since I can't find the thread. We did a job last week and before starting, the customer pulled the front windshield and back window out before be blasted. I told him that I would mask the chrome left around the wind wings and on the door. The door window were apparently down inside the door and I didn't see them anyways. We were blasting about a hour when the shop foreman came out and then told us to cover the wind wings. We taped them and proceeded. When we came back the following day to clean up the garnet, we were told that we had damaged the door windows because the door handles were off and blasting thru the holes damaged the window. Any ways, one of you guys posted a disclaimer on CT and we use it every time. I wish I could remember who posted the disclaimer, but thank you very very much. Just wondered if anybody has any thoughts or comments. Thanks in advance
Bob

·
Registered
158 Posts
It's good you covered yourself with the disclaimer but I would not count on doing any work for them or anyone they know again. This kind of thing will give you a bad reputation.

You told the customer you were going to cover the chrome on the wind wings, did you forget? You said the foreman came out and remind you after you started blasting to cover them. Not good.

Blasting through the door handle holes and ruining the door glass was a huge mistake. Your the professional media blaster and you should have known better, especially in your customers eyes. Again, not good.

Was this a bodyshop or restoration type shop? If it is you better go back there and make things right.

Disclaimers are to cover us for things we cannot avoid or help, they should not be used to cover our mistakes.

My 2 cents

·
Registered
23 Posts
never seen that disclaimer, how can i find it ?

this is why i don't do cars, in my opinion the work involved in taping and prepping is too much, although car restoration isn't such a big deal over here as it is in USA so it doesn't pay well.

i only do them if they bring it fullly dismantled, and i remind them that media will get everywhere. so no complaining.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Blast Off, thanks for your comment. As per the chrome, I did cover all the chrome. I thought that since he removed the front and back window while I was there, the glass left on the car was not needed. My mistake. Sometime the school of hard knocks can be expensive.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
I thought that since he removed the front and back window while I was there, the glass left on the car was not needed. My mistake.
Even if the glass was not needed, from a professionalism standpoint we still should provide a certain amount of protection and care. I learned this hard lesson myself when I used to paint apartments that were being turned over.

Because they already had the cabinets and fixtures removed, and because they were going to sand the wood floor I thought it would be OK to use the sprayer without masking anything. Long story short, I didn't know what "patina" meant or what "distressed wood flooring" was and I ended up paying for a couple of floor jobs. Lessons learned.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
That may have been the disclaimer I wrote quite a while back. You didn't actually say if you tried to bring it out on this job or rather that you have been using it since. I actually no longer work with it myself. As Blast off says it is our responsibility to safe guard a project and only when you know you can not to inform the customer. I blew some glass away once too. Thought I had just the air set to flow and some media was still in the hose or got through the valve and I bought a windshield and a door glass. I sell that stuff so it wasn't too bad.
The best thing is to talk about the whole project before a blast. Everything that should't get blasted should come out. What ever remains can be protected but you can remind them that the intense air pressure can make tape and cardboard blow off and that you will do everything you can but it isn't a guarantee as if it were removed. You then take pictures of the protection and also you must tell them that they will be charged for the masking. A mistake is thinking you can't add much on for that because they say things like"just quick mask that". Then you use less tape and one layer of card board to save time and cash and you could end up regretting it. Charge for that like any other part of the job and do you best work. Not the reverse where the customer expects your best effort, no matter what it costs you.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BetterBlast, I believe it was your disclaimer I used with a few revisions. Anyways, I will be buying some glass on this job. My reputation is more important to me than the $$. I had him sign the waiver and explained it to him, but to no avail. As I said earlier, lesson learned. Thanks for your post. Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts