Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't spray exteriors, however on a job coming up i need to spray drip edge, fascia, soffit and the piano keys.

How do you guys protect the over spray from getting all over the roof? I would think laying cardboard on their and letting a little hang over the drip edge would stop it?? Thanks in advance for any tips.

·
Registered
381 Posts
there are a couple ways.

1) if you are a really bad sprayer you should cover the entire roof.

2) you can put a guy on the roof (if its walkable) with a large piece of cardboard and have him hold it following along with you - watching for overspray

3) use a spray shield on a pole and move it along as you spray

4) if your a good spray guy just cut a line with the spray gun - wind may prevent this option

5) hire a professional

make sure you pay attention to the wind. don't just run a couple runner tarps along the edge and think it will catch everything - you can end up with a line where the tarp stops that looks worse than a light mist covering the whole area.

·
Youngster
493 Posts
there are a couple ways.

make sure you pay attention to the wind. don't just run a couple runner tarps along the edge and think it will catch everything - you can end up with a line where the tarp stops that looks worse than a light mist covering the whole area.

HAHA... seen that one a few times. :laughing: The line does look worse. Never on a soffit/facia paint though. My painter usually uses a 311 tip for soffit/facia. Not enough overspray to cause a problem. It's always the guys with the 517 tip spraying the siding who end up misting the roof.

·
semi-skilled laborer
2,075 Posts
HAHA... seen that one a few times. :laughing: The line does look worse. Never on a soffit/facia paint though. My painter usually uses a 311 tip for soffit/facia. Not enough overspray to cause a problem. It's always the guys with the 517 tip spraying the siding who end up misting the roof.

A 311 is what I go with also, that 517 tip is standard issue when you buy a new gun or pump, I have tons of them, too small to prime drywall, too big for anything else.

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
517 here. I don't have any issues with it. Turning down the pressure a bit and angling it just right and cutting the trigger off at the drip edge prevents a full shot onto the roof. Lots of mini shots when close to the edge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.