Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to build a semicircular brick wall, double wythe, 18" radius, approximately 8' tall. It will be bonded into a straight wall at either end. It is the termination for the inside of a masonry spiral staircase. What bonding pattern would you use that would not look like crap? Obviously I cannot lay the brick as stretchers due to the small radius.

Oh yeah, this is interior finish work, so it does have to look decent.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Tight

Flemish bond is good looking properly done, but you will still have the alternating full bricks.....that is a tight radius...You say it ties into a brick wall? I'm assuming that is running bond? Many guys would just go with headers, that can look, ok. You are one of the most creative guys here, how about stone?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Flemish bond is good looking properly done, but you will still have the alternating full bricks.....that is a tight radius...You say it ties into a brick wall? I'm assuming that is running bond? Many guys would just go with headers, that can look, ok. You are one of the most creative guys here, how about stone?
Why not cut you brick down into minature size. I have wanted to do that with a mailbox I want to build....in my case it would allow for some extra detail in your case it would allow you to make the radius.

Just go half scale.

Probablly a dumb idea and a lot of work....but the kind of thing the right customer would/might pay for.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Header bond is one idea... The other thought I had was alternating header and dogtooth bats on the concave side. On the convex side (both are exposed) I would fill between the headers with whatever size brick it ended up being.

I really like the miniature brick idea though Luka.:thumbsup: That sounds like too much time on the saw for me.

·
Chief outhouse engineer
1,418 Posts
18"!? i thought you meant 18'
That is what I thought when I first read the first post. I think bigbricklayer has the idea with his picture. Header bond would work but not sure what the end result would be. You could check with a few brick companies, they make some special shapes, but they can be $$$.

Post a pic of the spiral staircase, I would like to see it.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Using heads or a soldier course is about the only answer. Corbel some of the heads out to create a spiral or use different colored brick to do the same. Throw in a soldier course to break it up. Do soldiers with a running bond. Drunken sailors doing a spiral would look cool.
For mini brick use the heads off of splits.

·
Registered
54 Posts
what do u think about basket weave u might have to cut the vertical corners but the horizontals should be alright.......by the way if the top is seen ....as in looking down on a radias soldier about the smallest you can get without cutting and having joints that arent too big (if your worried about that) is 19 inches ......also this is a question do yow know how to make a ball from small stone like a ball sitting on top of a peer?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, I've pretty well completed this project. I'll post pics when I stop being lazy.;) I went with all headers, but they are all bats, as I couldn't work anything out with bond between the two wythes. It's tied together with corrugated ties. I really wish I had done Tkle's idea with the corbeled spiral, but it was enough of a b**** as is.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
ok we are holding you to it. We want pics! :clap:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts