Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been remodeling our house for the last couple of years and I think I jumped the gun a little bit when I bought a new HVAC system 3 years ago. Never installed it, but now I'm getting ready to. It's a Goodman (96%) heat and air. My question is does the refrigerant (R-410a) 'go bad' from sitting? It's a 'pre-charged' unit from the mfg. Is there anything else I should be concerned about by it sitting for so long? My HVAC guy (my son, but he's young - 25) said it shouldn't be a problem, but it's winter time and I want to get it right the first time so I don't freeze my arse off because I screwed up.

·
HVAC Professional
56 Posts
66 Shelby said:
We've been remodeling our house for the last couple of years and I think I jumped the gun a little bit when I bought a new HVAC system 3 years ago. Never installed it, but now I'm getting ready to. It's a Goodman (96%) heat and air. My question is does the refrigerant (R-410a) 'go bad' from sitting? It's a 'pre-charged' unit from the mfg. Is there anything else I should be concerned about by it sitting for so long? My HVAC guy (my son, but he's young - 25) said it shouldn't be a problem, but it's winter time and I want to get it right the first time so I don't freeze my arse off because I screwed up.
just pick up the unit and shake it vigorously before u install it. Haha just joking
ive never heard of R410a or any other refrigerant going bad or having a shelf life. The biggest thing I can suggest for being without heat for as short as time as possible is do any and all prep work the day or a few days before hand. Such as running new PVC vent(s) to unit if not already in place and make sure all your materials and supplies are ready. Such as gas pipe and condensate drain supplies.
When you do the refrigerant part someone properly licensed (your son) should look over the job and verify the proper vacuum in the copper lines BEFORE releasing the refrigerant into the system and performing a proper start up (when it gets warmer of course).
Have fun installing. I always love the feeling to look at a completed job, especially when it's a whole system change out. They look so sharp when done properly

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I didn't figure it would be a problem, but it never hurts to get others thoughts. Our son lives in Florida now (walks to the beach - Yeah, I'm slightly jealous :laughing:), and he's going to come up for a weekend to help me install it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts