Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On remodeling T&M jobs where the electrician might discover something that can't be left alone, do you prefer that the electrician to do more than what you originally spoke about to get the project to pass inspection? ...or do you prefer that you talk about any of the electrician's "discoveries" on a case by case basis, even if there's really no choice?

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
By something that can't be left alone I take it you find something that is dangerous. It would be my responsibity to make this right. I would appreciate at least a phone call from the sub if this was going to be an expensive repair. But at the end of the day it must be made right. This all goes hand in hand with confidence in the sub.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
There is a clause in my contract that covers these eventualities. Everything MUST pass inspections.
Most of the time the modifications are minor and can be absorbed in the overall cost of the project. In the event that something major is discovered, the contract covers that. The owner is informed prior to initiating any work.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
I definitly want to know first, or the sub is probably risking spending his own money if it is outside of the scope of work discussed. However I wouldn't be involved with a T&M project with a sub unless it was the last resort anyways.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
Let me know first so we can at least explore options. Even if it is a no-brainer my first commitment is to the client - they should know 2 things. 1 - that something isn't right with their project and it will involve 2 - a change order in the amount of x.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I add an amount into my contracts to cover some extra work neccesary to properly complete project.A change order will be written when extras involve work excluded from or unrelated to original project.All work must pass inpections , be code compliant, and fixtures must be ul/csa listed new in box.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts