Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I bought a Graco King airless to add to my rapidly expanding collection of equipment. Now I have a project to blast repair and paint two farm trailers in John Deere green and yellow.

Once blasted what paint system should I use?

This will be my first attempt at applying coatings to anything, they are my own trailers so are really my practice canvas but I need them to look good because they could also become my work sample.

Thanks for any advice and hints.

http://www.contractortalk.com/attac...-your-work-lewiston-public-works-tri-axel.jpg

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
First off,
Don't paint your trailer (or anything) John Deer green ...
it will brake shortly after doing so! :laughing:

For Equipment such as Trailers, Dumps etc

there is many different paints available,
just make sure that the Primer and top coat are compatible, if not you might be doing them again.

I kind of stick to the Marine Grade Paint's. Im in a place that has a lot of salt air, sand, calcium & Salts on the road in the winter

I've used a good metal etching primer with a HS Enamel top coat for the inexpensive jobs, or

a Base coat of ZRC that is a Zinc Rich coating 95% zinc
and top coated with a High Solid Polyurethane Industrial
If needing a thicker coat, a Epoxy can be put over the zinc, then top coated.

Don't just put a epoxy for a top coat, see this all the time, it does not stand up to UV very well, it will fade and caulk.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
If you've never painted anything, I would suggest that you start off with a enamel system. Simple to use and forgiving. Try Sherwin Williams Kem-Kromik Universal Primer and then top coat with their Industrial Enamel. No pot life's to worry with and dry time is pretty good. If you make a run you can easily brush it out. Starting off green with a two part system, your going to waste your coating and if you take too long, it's going to set up in your pump, hose and gun if your not careful. Start at the bottom and learn proper spray technique, learn your coatings and go from there. Your not going to become a painter over night. It's a profession that has to be learned.

·
Registered
58 Posts
We paint blast and paint John Deer bits for a local John Deer agent and they supply us with John Deer own paint which is really good stuff. Single pack and cover really well even the yellow which usually is a sod of a colour. Other than that we use a lot of Jotun products or the job we are on at Kings Cross at the moment we have used Sherwin Williams which ok but I think Jotun is better and cheaper. We get Jotun from Thames Coatings or SML. They both have tech departments so if you tell them what you are painting they will supply you with a couple of paint specs with different life expectancy of the coatings.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, interesting reading and useful advice as ever.

Your not going to become a painter over night. It's a profession that has to be learned.
I appreciate your comments Benny. I don't want to become a painter I just want to get an understanding of the process so that when I employ a painter I can be sure that what I am being told is the truth.

Regards

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.